Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD MyBook Studio Suddenly Slow. Sign of Failure?

Hey Guys.

I have a Western Digital MyBook Studio 3TB external hard drive that has suddenly slowed down dramatically.

I usually hook it up with FireWire 800, but both FireWire and USB is slow. I've hooked it up to another Macbook and it's still slow so i know it's a drive problem.

The speed is so slow it takes about 30 seconds for drive to load thumbnails, and videos do not even load.

I have read through many many forums but still unable to find a fix. I have a lot of important Data on this drive that i cannot lose. It's basically everything digital i have/own.

Details that may help

-2010 27" iMac i7.

-I have owned this external drive for about 6 months, and it has been working perfectly.

-There was a power outage a couple of days ago, it worked fine immediately after but the problems started yesterday.

-Currently, the drive is about 1tb used and 2tb free.

-I've tried PRAM reset, different cables, removing the drive from index, pretty much everything i found on forums but no luck.

-drive not making any odd noises or clicks.

Please help as i cannot afford to lose the data on this drive.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 12:42 PM

2 replies

Sep 15, 2013 9:30 AM in response to Paul.Tr

The drive could be failing, I would get something besides another WD MyBook and back it up ASAP.

I build my own External Hard Drives and backup all my data to multiple drives, one daily, one weekly and one in the fire safe.

For some other good External Hard Drive solutions:

see > Macsales.com - USB 3.0, FireWire 800/400, eSATA External Hard Drives

and > LaCie - Desktop External Hard Drives - USB 2.0, FireWire, FireWire 800 & eSATA

WD MyBook Studio Suddenly Slow. Sign of Failure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.