Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes extras won't download error -50

I have read and tried solutions in the threads for error -50. I have tried: creating a new administrator profile on my system; clearing cache and deleting previous download tmp files; changing settings on modem; attempting download from alternate computer; adjusting firewall settings; changing download file location; changing computer connection from wifi to wired; restarting system.

The file is the itunes extras for Star Trek: Into Darkness. The movie file downloaded with no issues. I have had problems previously with extras files, but generally don't have problems with other music or movie downloads.

I'm using itunes 11.0.5.5 on windows 7.

Windows 7

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 3:34 PM

11 replies

Sep 11, 2013 11:30 AM in response to Four Morgans

Hello Four Morgans,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you are getting an error message -50 when trying to download this iTunes Extra.

I found this article to help troubleshoot that same error message:

iTunes Store: "Error (-50)" when downloading purchased content

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1583

• Firewalls
  • Web Accelerators
  • Ad Filters
  • Virus Protection Software

Resolution

If you have any of the software listed above, and you cannot access the iTunes Store or complete your download, you will need to configure these applications to allow iTunes to connect to the Internet.Refer to the documentation that came with that software, and if necessary contact the software's manufacturer. You will need to configure the software to allow the following domains to send and receive data from the Internet.

• itunes.apple.com
  • ax.itunes.apple.com
  • albert.apple.com
  • gs.apple.com
  • deimos3.apple.com
  • phobos.apple.com

If a web accelerator appears to be causing the issue, contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) or the software manufacturer. If your computer is on a network, you may also want to try using a different computer on the network, or discuss the issue with the network administrator.If you find that this error only occurs while attempting to download video content, you may be able to resolve this issue by deleting the cached video files of the download, then resuming your download."Error (-50)" when downloading purchased videosDeleting the cached video files of the download, and starting the download again from the beginning, often will resolve this issue.To find the cached video downloads:

1. Navigate to the downloads folder on your computer. This folder can be found in the locations listed below.Note: the "iTunes Media" folder may appear as "iTunes Music".
    OS X:
    ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/DownloadsNote: The tilde (~) refers to your Home directory.Windows Vista:
    \Users\username\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Downloads\
  2. Windows 7
  3. :
  4. \Users\username\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Downloads\
  5. Windows XP
  6. :
  7. \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Downloads\
  8. Locate the folder that contains the cached video file for this purchase.
    In Windows Vista and Windows 7, the folder will be named for the purchased video, and the name will end with .tmp.
    Example: The Dundies.tmp

In Windows XP and Windows 2000, the folder will be named for the purchased video, and the name will end with .m4v.tmp.
    Example: The Dundies.m4v.tmp
  9. Move the .tmp folder for the affected purchased video to the Trash or Recycle Bin.
  10. Open iTunes.
  11. Choose Store > Check for Available Downloads.
  12. Enter your account name and password and click the Check button.

Additional Information

Instructions on using MSCONFIG to troubleshoot conflicts in Microsoft Windows can be found here.

Regards,

Sterling

Oct 9, 2013 4:09 PM in response to Four Morgans

Same problem here. I tried signing in with my Apple ID like normal, not working. Tried buying something, then got error -50, signed out to sign back in to see if that would help, couldn't sign back in.

My roommate who has a mac and the same version of itunes 11 as I do could log in with no problem. Makes me wonder if this is a problem specific to PCs. I'm running itunes 11.1.1.11 on Win 8.

Dec 30, 2013 1:58 AM in response to mlisaoverdrive

Don't know if you still have this problem but I had an issue downloading the extras, restarted iTunes and then got told there was nothing left to download.

The extras were showing in iTunes but with the "cloud" icon. I tried to delete and it asked if I wanted to hide it (didn't want to).
Double-clicked it in iTunes and it just started downloading...now to get it working on Apple TV....

Feb 13, 2014 12:19 PM in response to Four Morgans

(I don't know if this is a solution, but this solved my problem with movie extras not downloading.)

(I also realize the OP if from Sep.2013 but I recently had this problem so I figured if this is where people are looking for answers, I would help out.)

I'm on Windows 7

iTunes ver. 11.1.3.8

Edit > Preferences > Store > Check "Show iTunes in the cloud purchases"

Click OK and go back to your library and click on the affected movie. In the drop down information there should be an "iTunes Extras" button with the cloud icon on it (under the movie title). Click it and it should start downloading.

itunes extras won't download error -50

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.