Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad3 touch screen sometimes unresponsive

I'm typing. Stop to proofread. Cursor still at place I stopped. I type, but nothing appears on the screen.

I touch screen to type in what I'd like to see at a website. Page enlarges. I try to tap the search rectangle to type. Nothing happens. I wait. I tap rectangle. Page again enlarges.

What is going on? How do I fix this?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM), iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 3:56 PM

6 replies

Sep 9, 2013 4:01 PM in response to susan52

I don't know what you mean by the "search rectangle", but try this.

Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

Sep 9, 2013 6:09 PM in response to Demo

Did that. It didn't work. Today I didn't have to do the full reboot. I just turned the device off for a bit.

The search rectangle is like the Google search spot at the top of Safari screens, to the right of the line for a YRL. Lots of websites that sell things allow one to search for a product by typing in a search. Sorry, I don't know what to call the space.

I also find both iPad and iPhone sometimes unwilling to let me move on to the next page in a Kindle eBook. I will likely ask the folks at Kindle about that, but if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Sep 9, 2013 6:17 PM in response to susan52

Have you tried clearing Safari at all? If you have not tried that, give it a shot. After you clear Safari, reboot the iPad again.

Go to Settings>Safari>Clear History, Cookies and Data.

As for the Kindle App - do you ever close it completely? Sometimes closing an app and relaunching it can help.

Tap the home button once. Then tap the home button twice and the recents tray will appear at the bottom of the screen. Tap and hold down on any app icon until it begins to wiggle. Tap the minus ➖ sign in the upper left corner of the Kindle app icon. Tap the home button twice. Try the app again.

iPad3 touch screen sometimes unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.