Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have replaced my HDD and i wanto format it for a first time. which key is taking me to disk utility? Thx

I have replaced my HDD and i wanto format it for a first time. which key is taking me to disk utility? Thx

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 4:37 PM

Where is the old drive? Put it into an external enclosure and startup from the Recovery HD. Then do the following:

Install or Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your new drive from the

left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the number of partitions to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended

(Journaled.), click on the Security button and set the ZeroData option to one-pass. Click on

the Apply button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion: Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2013 4:37 PM in response to aramjc777

Where is the old drive? Put it into an external enclosure and startup from the Recovery HD. Then do the following:

Install or Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your new drive from the

left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the number of partitions to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended

(Journaled.), click on the Security button and set the ZeroData option to one-pass. Click on

the Apply button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion: Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

Sep 9, 2013 4:38 PM in response to aramjc777

No key takes you to Disk Utility. Disk utility is a program that run under OS X.

Depending on the age of your Mac you can use the Online Internet Recovery system, Hold down the Command + Option/Alt + r key at startup and if your Mac is new enough it will boot from the Apple servers from across the internet.

If your Mac is a little older and came with reinstall DVD discs then you would use the OS X disc to boot the system and run Disk Utility.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.