Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transcoding for a vertical display

I've been assigned the task of transcoding 16:9 for a flatscreen that is to be turned on it's side. To tackle this problem I've rotated the image to fit into the "portrait" format, and exported to ProRes. Here's the kicker, the client has requested DVD's. When I transcode from Compressor to the DVD format, I get terrible interlacing.

I understand that when creating a DVD, De-interlacing is not necessary, however that coupled with the flat screen being on its side, I'm not really sure how to tackle this. Is it because I've rotated the image that I'm getting this? Any help is very much appreciated.

User uploaded file

With respect,

Josh

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 2:32 PM

7 replies

Sep 9, 2013 5:18 PM in response to 30framesasecond

Hi Josh.

I don't see why MPEG2 compression should introduce interlacing, And I'm not sure those combing effects are interlacing.

So perhaps you could go back to the original clips and open in Quick Time and bring up the Movie Insspector to report the clip format?

Also, what are the video properties of the file you broiught into Compressor?

(In both instances, screen shots would be best.)

Russ

Sep 10, 2013 7:27 AM in response to Russ H

Okay, Compressor's working. I re-built my sequence in FCP where as before I had done so in After Effects. I then exported a same as movie (ProRes 1920x1080/24p) but this time, instead of transcoding in Compressor, I transcoded in Adobe Media Encoder and my problem goes away. I should also point out that before I had seperate clips in DVD Studio Pro where as now I have just one clip containing all the sub-clips.

Thanks all for the input.

Transcoding for a vertical display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.