Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi. I have an Ipod Touch the very first one they came out with, with tons of music on it. Unfortunately, my old laptop broke and now I have a new laptop. If I plug my iPod touch in my new laptop, will I lose all my music on my iPod?!

Hi. I have an Ipod Touch the very first one they came out with, with tons of music on it. Unfortunately, my old laptop broke and I want to use my Ipod touch again with keeping my old music on it as well. Now I have a new laptop and if I plug my iPod touch in my new laptop, will I lose all my music on my iPod?! Please help.

iPod touch

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 3:46 PM

1 reply

Sep 9, 2013 9:54 PM in response to PickyGurl22

If it was previously set up to automatically sync to your (old) iTunes library, you cannot add content from your current (different) iTunes library without replacing its existing content. Instead, if it was set up to use the Manually manage music and videos setting (you loaded content by dragging items to the iPhone in iTunes), then it is not syncing to a particular iTunes library, and you CAN (manually) add content from a different iTunes library.

To avoid losing the iPod's existing content, your approach is to first off-load the iPod's song files to your Mac's drive. Then, add those songs files to your current iTunes library.

You cannot use iTunes to transfer song files from iPod to computer, except for songs purchased from the iTunes Store. However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer from iPod to computer. If you do an Internet search on something like "ipod transfer," you should get some links.

Once ALL of your songs are "consolidated" into your current iTunes library, you can sync the iPod touch to that library, as desired.

Hi. I have an Ipod Touch the very first one they came out with, with tons of music on it. Unfortunately, my old laptop broke and now I have a new laptop. If I plug my iPod touch in my new laptop, will I lose all my music on my iPod?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.