Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MY PASSPORT WD Drive not showing on my macbook but shows on others.

For no reason whatsoever my macbook pro won't show my WD external HD. It powers up normally and I see the light on the HD, it reads on other macbook pro's and it even gets read by my LG smart TV. It used to be read on my macbook pro but for no reason it just doesn't show up anywhere, not even on disk utility. Has anyone experienced this problem or have any recommendations for me?

thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 5:15 PM

37 replies

Jun 13, 2017 11:33 AM in response to Boogshee

Boogshee rocks with his simple answer! You have no idea how much time I've spent on researching this. I've not been able to use this drive for months and to find out it's all about the "wiggle"? My concern is if the USB cord gets moved in the slightest it will be considered improperly ejected and will not mount on any MAC. Is there a way to prevent this? I can't believe the fix is as simple as this. So happy I stumbled on your answer as I have read over 20 articles on this encouraging to download all kinds of software, rest the PRAM, etc. What a JOKE!!! Thank you, Boogshee!!!

Sep 9, 2013 5:36 PM in response to cj2600

If WireWire, try reseating PRAM:

Quote from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

• Shut down your Mac.
  • Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
  • Turn on the computer.
  • Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
  • Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
  • Release the keys.

Sep 9, 2013 6:16 PM in response to radoja

OK, so contrary to what you originally said it CURRENTLY does not work on ANY Mac? Correct?

If that is the case, you have a bad cable (very unlikely) or (very very common) a bad SATA card inside the external HD case.

Meaning.......almost certain your HD is fine, but the SATA bridge has bit the dust (typical). Youd have to crack open the case and put the HD into a HD enclosure ($15 on ebay) or a HD dock (35$ on ebay, or best buy).

BEFORE all that of course, verify that the USB cable isnt bad (trying another) and trying same HD on another Mac.

UPDATE: Ok, so it reads fine on other devices, but not the Mac currently.

offload all data on the HD onto another computer, format the HD for ExFat so it can read/write from / to both PC and Mac

load all data back onto HD

Sep 9, 2013 6:18 PM in response to radoja

got it, now your current macbook isnt recognizing THIS hard drive, or ANY hard drive?

Do you have another HD to test on the problem macbook?

Do an SMC reset of the macbook in question.

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Sep 9, 2013 6:39 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

ok i tried that, how do I know if it worked? I shut down my laptop completely with the power cord in. I think pressed all the buttons you told me to. After I released them simultaneously, nothing happened (i'm not sure if something was supposed to) but then I pressed the power button and everything booted up as normal.

This WD My Passport DOES work on all other devices. I do have another macbook and it works perfectly fine on it....it's really perplexing. After resetting the SMC it still doesn't show up : (

Sep 9, 2013 6:45 PM in response to radoja

I mess with a LOT of hard drives, ....Ive seen this 3 times before, only once on a Samsung HD ages ago and twice with Western Digital consumer grade (never heard of same on a black WD drive).

Said drive would spin up and powerup but not pass on one Mac but would on others.

An intermittent wonky SATA card seems the highest likelihood here inside the HD enclosure.

HOW recently have you FULLY tested this HD on another Mac?

MY PASSPORT WD Drive not showing on my macbook but shows on others.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.