Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i get my computer to stop making a fan noise

how do i get my computer to stop making a fan noise?

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 5:59 PM

11 replies

Jun 11, 2017 3:25 PM in response to nbar

Hi I have a Mac air model A1466 and have the same problem. I think it was after Mac OS Sierra was installed but before that my computer sometimes wouldn't turn on even when battery was full. It is now really slow and makes a loud fan noise. I took it to the laptop people and they opened it and cleaned it but couldn't fix the problem. I tried reinstalling Mac OS but it hasn't helped and don't know what else to do :(

Sep 9, 2013 6:05 PM in response to nbar

I am speaking B

"B: -----IF however you mean the fan is making unusual noises (buzzing, or fluttering sounds,....i.e. the blades are dirty) thats ANOTHER question altogether."

The loud fan noise does not stop unless I completely shut down my computer. But when I turn my computer back on, the noise starts up right away

Sep 9, 2013 6:09 PM in response to rgoldberg

Is the computer hot? If so then do this:

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the Processes dropdown menu. Click twice on the CPU% column header to display in descending order. If you find a process using a large amount of CPU time (>=70,) then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that helps. Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

If the computer is not hot, then try resetting the SMC - Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC).

Finally, try running diagnostics:

Using Apple Hardware Test

OS X Mountain Lion- Use Apple Hardware Test

Intel-based Macs- Using Apple Hardware Test

MacBook Air- Using Apple Hardware Test

Sep 9, 2013 6:10 PM in response to rgoldberg

and what noise would that be? The fan normally DOES make a noise, especially if youre a quiet room youll notice it.

However it is making an unusual buzzing sound,......or fluttering sound? How old is the Air?

Do you have pets in the house with lots of pet fuzz? In dusty locations the blades can take in and cake up crud on the blades, since the fan acts like a tiny vacuum cleaner of the Air, however thats not its intended purpose of course, ...nevertheless.

If buzzing or fluttering and ABNORMAL sounding, if OUT of warranty you can see a video for same on cleaning the fan.

If IN warranty you can make a call for abnormal fan operation by appt. with Apple.

how do i get my computer to stop making a fan noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.