Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photostream converts my Raw files to Tiff

When I share my raw photos (NEF) on photostream, they appear as Tiff files on my other computer. Both computers are Mac airs running the latest iPhoto and osx. How can I maintain the original format.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 7:19 PM

5 replies

Sep 10, 2013 5:03 AM in response to LarryHN

Thanks Larry. Not sure which link you are referring to but I see this: On your Mac or PC, your photos are downloaded and stored in full resolution. On your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple TV, your Photo Stream photos are delivered in a device-optimized resolution that speeds downloads and saves storage space. While actual dimensions will vary, an optimized version of a photo taken by a standard point-and-shoot camera will have a 2048 x 1536 pixel resolution when pushed to your devices. Panoramic photos can be up to 5400 pixels wide.

This seems to say that they will be full resolution on my Mac.

Sep 10, 2013 6:03 AM in response to DW00

That and

Photo Stream supports JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and most RAW photo formats. Photo Stream does not work with video.

Shared PhotoStreams seem to be a bit different

Shared Photo Streams deliver photos in a device-optimized resolution that speeds upload and downloads and saves storage space. While actual dimensions will vary, an optimized version of a photo taken by a standard point-and-shoot camera will have a 2048 x 1536 pixel resolution. Panoramic photos can be up to 5400 pixels wide.

Is this PhotoStream or a shared PhotoStream?

LN

Sep 10, 2013 8:56 AM in response to LarryHN

Ah, Larry, you may be right. Sometimes Apple's extreme economy with language makes it hard to grok what is happening for those of us who understand via examples. Here is my situation:

The photos on my SOURCE computer are RAW. I share them via photostream with an account on my TARGET computer. When they arrive on my TARGET computer, they are in TIFF. I presume this is because my TARGET computer is working from a shared photostream.

If that is the case, then it seems to mean that in order to edit the photos on my TARGET computer, I need to transfer them from my SOURCE computer to the TARGET computer by some other means (USB stick or airpdrop).

I think that solves it - thank you, and sorry for my density.

Photostream converts my Raw files to Tiff

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.