Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Score & Tablature in Logic Pro X

I've followed all the tutorials from earlier versions of Logic Pro and it is not cooperating. FYI, I've just barely upgraded from GarageBand to Logic so I'm still in newbie mode.

I have imported a GB file in the hopes I can produce some sheets for my new band members to use to learn my songs. The bass player would like tablature and I am lead to believe Logic can produce it, but it doesn't work yet for me. The bass tracks are all in midi. I have even tried switching the software instrument specifically to a typical picked/stinged bass. I have changed the staff style to "Guitar" which is suppose to be tablature. But for some reason the score view remains traditional score/notation.

Some other notes: I have used some looping on this track. Not imported loops, but just where I played the bassline and then dragged the progression to loop it through all the measures it repeats. (I've noticed that the score view only shows the original section of any loop, so I know I may need to go in and undo the looping and then replicate/merge to create one continuous midi section for the song.)

Anyway, is there somethign I'm missing to produce tablature in Logic Pro X? (version 10.0.0)

Logic Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 9:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 11:57 AM

Hi there Clay!

I have an article here that can inform you about tablature settings in Logic Pro X and will help you resolve your question:

Logic Pro X: Tablature settings

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13400

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Cheers,

Braden

12 replies

Sep 12, 2013 12:26 PM in response to Clay Whipkey

Hi

Clay Whipkey wrote:

The bass player would like tablature and I am lead to believe Logic can produce it, but it doesn't work yet for me. The bass tracks are all in midi. I have even tried switching the software instrument specifically to a typical picked/stinged bass. I have changed the staff style to "Guitar" which is suppose to be tablature. But for some reason the score view remains traditional score/notation.

Works fine here in LPX 10.0.3:

User uploaded file

You need to select the region then chang ethe Staff Style in the Score Inspector. I made a new Style with a 4 string Bass TAB (TAB settings set to "Inverse: uses MIDI Channel to choose the string).

Don't forget that you may need to transpose to get the ranges right.

CCT

Sep 12, 2013 1:38 PM in response to CCTM

Have you checked all the advanced features (In Logic Pro X's preferences/Advanced Tab)?

You could just turn on the advanced Score features but frankly turn them all on to fully access all of LPX's feaure set

Tabs only appear when you have the advanced features turned on...

Some people have stated they had to restart LPX after turning on the advanced featurs to make them all available.. but I didn't find i needed to do that myself..

Sep 16, 2013 1:27 PM in response to Clay Whipkey

My solution was a combination. I was going through the steps in the link from braden85 and still not getting the staff to change. Ultimately, I found it takes a specific combination of clicks...

1. click on the track

2. click on the region of the track you are working on

3. click on the score itself

You'll notice in between step 2 and 3 that the pallette showing the staff elements for editing the score gets hidden and a different pallette for Region options appears. It is that Region pallette where you have to select the staff style. The pallette that is visible when you click on the track itself has a staff style selector, but it did not have any effect for me (at least it didn't change it to TAB.

Sep 5, 2015 11:53 AM in response to Farzad_K

That is not correct. Staff styles are assigned to regions and regions are selected by selecting them in the score editor. Staff styles "normally" are changed and applied after the region has been created. Just be sure you select a staff in the score editor and the staff style parameter in the score inspector will present itself and can be changed, with the staff updating immediately based on the selection.User uploaded file

Sep 5, 2015 12:20 PM in response to Indyuser

Hi

Indyuser wrote:

That is not correct. Staff styles are assigned to regions and regions are selected by selecting them in the score editor. Staff styles "normally" are changed and applied after the region has been created.

Not necessarily:

You can "pre-assign" a particular staff style to the track in the Track Inspector so that any recorded regions are automatically assigned to that style. The default is 'Auto"(matic)

User uploaded file

You can, of course, change staff styles per region as you describe after they have been created.

CCT

Sep 5, 2015 12:52 PM in response to CCTM

That is why I said normally and put it in quotes. The OP is stating you cannot change staff styles after creating a region. I am trying to demonstrate more often than not it is actually done the way he indicated it can't be done. Obviously you can create a default staff style, but showing the OP every detail to how logic works when some of the basic concepts are missing was not my objective.

Score & Tablature in Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.