Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro A1226 CPU running half speed

Hello,

I just have the really weird problem, my MacBook Pro has been run very oddly and crahses a lot, it's been a very good warrior since I purchased in 2007, traveled around the US, Mexico and Canada doing a lot of stuff and being a real trooper in all my projects. Unfortunately I don't know exactly when this issue started, I tried several software fixes(reinstalling from Tiger to OS X Lion) then I run the Apple Hardware Test from its original discs and the AHT reports that everything is fine, but my MBP runs very slowly, from scoring +3000 in geekbench 2 to scoring 817 points! it has been a nightmare, so I managed to get a deeper diagnostic by a local Apple Certified Technician, I learn that one of the temp sensor was reporting higher temp than operating limits. the "GPU 0 Die heatsink temp sensor" to be specific, everything else reported a PASSED score. I have to say that I notice the problem because I use Final Cut Pro and Maya a lot, that means I need my mac to render a lot of things, When I start a CPU intesive task, as rendering is, the fans go all the way up to the highest speeds (6k/rpm) and I can know by that, that my MBP is running at it's limits, but suddenly last week I sent some renders but the fans never accelerated to the highest speed, instead they ran at the 2k/rpm, I teared my MBP apart and give a new thermal paste treatment, clean all the dust, and make sure all was tight and clean, but it has the same problem, OS X reports that my CPU is running at full 2.4ghz, I used HarwdareMonitor, iStat Pro, MacCPU ID and ran Geekbench and Cinebench again, the scores were the same, Cinebench scores 0.25!! , so I scratch my head a little and think a lot, I started to think that there were a problem with the cpu itself, maybe one of the cores just died, so as all the OS X utilites reported that my CPU is running at the 2.4 GHz, I made a partition to install Windows XP so I can install CPU-z, GPU-Z and HWMonitor so I could know if my CPU was running ok, After the installation I ran geekbench under Windows and the CPU-Z reported that my cpu was running at 1192Mhz!!! Even when was at full throttle. So I found the problem, the CPU clock speed was lowered to 6x instead of 12x(200Mhz x 12x=2.4GHz) ! I still don't know if this is caused by the faulty thermal sensor, or if the logic-board is dying. Anyways I did a SMC and NVRAM reset, and that helped a little by increasing the Benchmark from 817 to 1816, still very low from the original +3000 scored a few motnhs a go, but as long as I don't have the new pieces to replace them, I'm not sure what's going on.

Does any of you have the same problem? I really love this MBP, but it has a lot of battles and medals to put it to rest, "she" has some battle scars on her skin: a LogicBoard replaced in 2008 due to the Nvidia 8600m GT faulty chip, RAM upgraded, Hard Drive upgraded, Left I/O replaced, right fan refurbished (BTW I did all those repaiments but the Logicboard replace, that one was made by an Apple Certified Techinician in Salt Lake City)

Please if anyone knows if this has a fix I would appreciate it. May be is time to let it go.

THANKS!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), A1226 Santa Rosa 2.4Ghz 15"

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 11:29 PM

1 reply

Sep 11, 2013 9:07 AM in response to bto_r

Update:

Problem Solved!, after replacing the bad sensor I was having the same issue, problem was I did the tests without the battery in place, it turns out that if the battery is removed, the CPU runs half or lower speed, to prevent shut down the computer as the AC doesn't provide enough power. Here is more info https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5239574?start=0&tstart=0.

My MBP is ready for for another couple of years of hard work!!

Macbook Pro A1226 CPU running half speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.