Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore my iMac to factory default of Snow Leopard after upgrading to Lion?

I brought a iMac with Snow Leopard and the DVD. I have since upgraded it to Lion and then Mountain Lion. There was no CD for Lion and Mountain Lion as all linked to Apple ID.

So now I want to sell the iMac.

Simply one cannot use the Snow Leopard DVD as it won't let me reinstall. So now going to my oldest backup that is Lion and then will see if I can erase and reinstall Snow Leopard. There must be an easier way!

Apple says to sell the computer with what it came on- and that is Snow Leopard. Have the DVD but so far cannot seem to go back.

If I reinstall Mountain Lion- I have to enter my Apple ID which defeats me giving a clean machine to next owner.

Any advise please as it's driving me crazy!

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 9, 2013 10:07 PM

11 replies

Sep 9, 2013 10:09 PM in response to satyarod

Follow these instructions step by step to prepare a Mac for sale:

Step One - Back up your data:

A. If you have any Virtual PCs shut them down. They cannot be in their "fast saved" state. They must be shut down from inside Windows.

B. Clone to an external drive using using Carbon Copy Cloner.

1. Open Carbon Copy Cloner.

2. Select the Source volume from the Select a source drop down menu on the left side.

3. Select the Destination volume from the Select a destination drop down menu on the right

side.

4. Click on the Clone button. If you are prompted about creating a clone of the Recovery HD be

sure to opt for that.

Destination means a freshly erased external backup drive. Source means the internal

startup drive.

Step Two - Prepare the machine for the new buyer:

1. De-authorize the computer in iTunes! De-authorize both iTunes and Audible accounts.

2, Remove any Open Firmware passwords or Firmware passwords.

3. Turn the brightness full up and volume nearly so.

4. Turn off File Vault, if enabled.

5. Disable iCloud, if enabled: See.What to do with iCloud before selling your computer

Step Three - Install a fresh OS:

A. Snow Leopard and earlier versions of OS X

1. Insert the original OS X install CD/DVD that came with your computer.

2. Restart the computer while holding down the C key to boot from the CD/DVD.

3. Select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu; repartition and reformat the internal hard drive.

Optionally, click on the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass.

4. Install OS X.

5. Upon completion DO NOT restart the computer.

6. Shutdown the computer.

B. Lion and Mountain Lion (if pre-installed on the computer at purchase*)

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because

it is three times faster than wireless.

1. Restart the computer while holding down the COMMAND and R keys until the Mac OS X

Utilities window appears.

2. Select Disk Utility from the Mac OS X Utilities window and click on the Continue button.

3. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the left side list. Click

on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

4. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on the Security button

and set the Zero Data option to one-pass.

5. Click on the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

6. Quit DU and return to the Mac OS X Utilities window.

7. Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion and click on the Install button.

8. Upon completion shutdown the computer.

*If your computer came with Lion or Mountain Lion pre-installed then you are entitled to transfer your license once. If you purchased Lion or Mountain Lion from the App Store then you cannot transfer your license to another party. In the case of the latter you should install the original version of OS X that came with your computer. You need to repartition the hard drive as well as reformat it; this will assure that the Recovery HD partition is removed. See Step Three above. You may verify these requirements by reviewing your OS X Software License.

Sep 9, 2013 10:52 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy. I was trying what you said- but when I used the Snow Leopard DVD I would either get a kernel crash or it would ask me to restart. Then it would say no boot disk and freeze.

Spoke to Apple help now too on chat and read a number of forums. One said to backup to Snow Leopard and then install- but when upgrading to Lion- there is no Snow Leopard backup.

So now restoring to oldest OS that is Lion. Hope that will let me install Snow Leopard. From what I understand Snow Leopard DVD does not have a disk utility option? So far using the Snow Leopard DVD has not worked. Aha- you said partition drive. Hmmm. But can we partition the recovery part as well? If I can access the DVD I can do that. but so far I am using the Mountain Lion Recovery on the drive to format etc- so will that let me partition and format it out?

Sep 9, 2013 10:57 PM in response to satyarod

Are you trying to use a retail copy of Snow Leopard or the original OEM version that came with the computer? The retail Snow Leopard DVD will not boot the computer. You must use the discs that came originally with the computer. If you no longer have them or they are damaged, then you will need to purchase replacements from Apple:

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Apple - Support - Contact Apple Support.

You will eventually need to wipe the drive, repartition it, install Snow Leopard. That's it. You do not install Lion or Mountain Lion.

Sep 9, 2013 11:13 PM in response to Kappy

The original OEM that came with the Mac. I hope so. I'm now wiping the drive again! Was able to get my oldest version of Lion on the Mac. The recovery is still Mountain Lion.

I guess the key is partition. That part seems to be not be in most posts- and people are going round and round- including myself!

Will try that to see.

Sep 9, 2013 11:16 PM in response to satyarod

Here's what you do (using Snow Leopard:)

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc. Insert the disc into the

optical drive and restart the computer. After the chime press and hold down the

"C" key. Release the key when you see a small spinning gear appear below the

dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, set the format type to Mac

OS Extended (Journaled, if supported), then click on the Partition button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed DO NOT let the computer Restart. Just shut it down.

Sep 9, 2013 11:30 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for help. It seems to be working with the OEM OS X CDs now. I have one last question- if I exit without rebooting, the new owner can do the normal user account etc.

Now can I after quiting without restart- can I use the retail Snow Leopard DVD to install Snow Leopard without starting the OS X before? Or should I just give the DVD to next owner and have him do it?

How to restore my iMac to factory default of Snow Leopard after upgrading to Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.