Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro running Hardware Test

I have a 2009 8-core mac pro, and over the last 6 months... my fans have been going on overdrive.

The Mac has been cleaned of dust and had SMC and PRAM resets, but still no luck. I am now on OSX ML, even though my Mac shipped with SN

I would like to run a Hardware Test and have inserted the correct system disc, removed everything except the screens, mouse and keyboard, and press D when restarting. But... after 30 seconds or so, the Mac just shuts down.

Any idea as to why this is happening?

Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26 / MacBook Pro 13" 10.5.3 2.53, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Logic 9

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 2:45 AM

30 replies

Sep 10, 2013 5:46 AM in response to The hatter

I have 4 DVDs. Which one is the oem? The one that says "to use the apple hardware test, hold down the d key as the computer starts up"?

If so, that's the one I used.

Actually, smc showed me that its actually not the fans making all the noise new hen I increased the setting, the fans noticeably picked up. So I unplugged the mac, and powered it up with just the power cable and nothing else. When I opened the side door, I discovered that the noise was coming from the heat sync boxes (that's what I think they are). The ones pictured. Is this normal?

Sep 10, 2013 6:30 AM in response to Ravi Rai

Ravi,

The sound you hear is the fans INSIDE the heat sinks. These are called the BOOST fans.

So it sounds like you've narrowed it down to those 2 fans.

Now that SMC fan control is installed, you should be able to see the fan speeds for each of your fans. What is the fans speed (rpm's) of your BOOST fans?

You can see this info when you click on the icon in the top menu bar---there's a drop-down.

Go ahead and list ALL of your fan speeds. I'm just curious.

My recollection is that the minimum speed for BOOST fans on 8-core model is 1100 Rpms. That's when it is CPU is not stressed.

Sep 10, 2013 7:17 AM in response to Studio K

Thanks Studio K.

Just before I try this, I thought I'd do a test.

I have all 4 hard drive bays full with HDs. I never realised that my system drive was in bay 4.

I now have the mac up and running with the system drive in bay 1 and have booted up.

I have now started logic x, logic 9, FCPX and Studio one and the fans are all normal!

I'm going to try and add each drive after ashut down and try the same process. Does it matter if I'm leaving the side door open?

Would the system drive cause this kind of behaviour if it were in bay 4?

Sep 10, 2013 7:28 AM in response to Ravi Rai

I think that it is OK to leave the side panel off while running the mac pro.

I don't think that it should matter which HD bay your OS X system drive is inserted into. I can't imagine how that would affect BOOST fan speeds. But, if removing it from Drive bay 4 solves the problem, then it's best to avoid bay 4.

I am glad that you discovered a simple solution. Do experiment with the drive placements, and report what you find regarding CPU Boost fan behavior.

Sep 10, 2013 8:01 AM in response to Ravi Rai

Those BOOSt fan speeds are maxed out, it looks like. You can really hear those, I'm certain. VEry loud.

Something is really strange going on. The OS drive in Drive Bays 4 and 3 are making this happen? But drive Bay 1 is OK? I've never heard about that happening to someone.

Do you have Apple CAre warranty? If you do, it would be good to tell them about this behavior. It sounds easy to reproduce so they can see what is going on.

At least your temperatures are very, very cool. I've never seen CPU temps so low as those. 5000 rpm's really keeps things cold in there.

Sep 10, 2013 8:16 AM in response to Ravi Rai

One more thing to try is this: Use the OS X installer app (if you've got one) to place a new, fresh installation of OS X onto another drive. Perhaps create a small partition on one of your other hard drives for this purpose. You re-download the app from App Store if you need to.

If you have the Snow Leopard disc, then you can just install SL for this test.

Boot into the new installation and see if the Boost fans speed up. If fans are all at normal speed, then you can likely rule out a hardware problem.

Message was edited by: Studio K

Sep 10, 2013 8:35 AM in response to The hatter

The hatter wrote:

really? mid 30's is not u8nusual at all, very normal

I over-reacted a bit on CPU temps. Mine are a bit higher at idle. But, my Ambient temp is 33C these days---it's summer here. Ambient seems to affect Diode and Core temps a little bit.

Perhaps wintertime will bring lower temperatures.

SMC Reset with power button held down is a nice suggestion. I forgot about that one.

Sep 10, 2013 8:55 AM in response to Ravi Rai

Yes.

Ravi Rai wrote:

Could it really be ML causing all this trouble? Shall I try a fresh install on a brand new drive for ML?

Yes, re-install ML somewhere for testing.

And, just to be thorough, try that SMC reset where you hold down the power button for at least 10 seconds before plugging back in.

It's good that you have a SNow Leopard install to use.

Mac Pro running Hardware Test

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.