Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture Application version and Library version differ

Hi,

After a crash I'm trying to get things to work again. How do I solve the problem when my aperture application version is 3.4.5 and the library version is 3.4.3.

Naturally they do not find each other. Is there something I can do.

Please advice,

pyry

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 2:28 AM

pyry,

Aperture stores the location of your Aperture library in its preferences file in your user library in the home folder. If you amde a clean install after the crash (did you?), then Aperture will look for a library in the Pictures folder.

If your Aperture library is somewhere else, you should be able to point Aperture to its location by double clicking the library to open it in Aperture. Then Aperture should automatically upgrade the library to version 3.4.5.

Or launch Aperture with the options ⌥-key held down, to bring up the library chooser panel.

Doesn't this work? If not, where is your library located? How is the drive formatted? Are there any error messages?

Regards

Léonie

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2013 2:28 AM in response to pyry

pyry,

Aperture stores the location of your Aperture library in its preferences file in your user library in the home folder. If you amde a clean install after the crash (did you?), then Aperture will look for a library in the Pictures folder.

If your Aperture library is somewhere else, you should be able to point Aperture to its location by double clicking the library to open it in Aperture. Then Aperture should automatically upgrade the library to version 3.4.5.

Or launch Aperture with the options ⌥-key held down, to bring up the library chooser panel.

Doesn't this work? If not, where is your library located? How is the drive formatted? Are there any error messages?

Regards

Léonie

Sep 10, 2013 10:26 PM in response to léonie

Hi,

The drive crashed completely. Data was extracted at a Mac Servicecompany. The drive was changed to a new one and the extracted data (the aperture library) was inserted on the new HD. The Aperture application was loaded from an Aperture disc by me.

Yes, my Aperture application finds the database for the library,but gives a warning

The library in Users/Pictures/person_name/Aperture Library.aplibrary" cannot be loaded because it is from a newer version of Aperture (That is true because my Aperture version is 3.0 and my library is 3.4.3)

If I update the Application via the AppStore the new application version is 3.4.5 and the error message I get is

"There was an error opening the database for the library "Users/person_name/Pictures/Aperture Library.aplibrary" (because the library version still is 3.4.3)

regards

pyry

Sep 11, 2013 10:22 AM in response to pyry

You can try to repair or rebuild the library by holding down command and option when you launch Aperture.

It's possible that the library is kaput and cannot be repaired. If your drive crashed and you got data recovery, the chances that 100% of the library are sufficiently good to open aren't that great.

This is why you should have a proper backup strategy, and test it. That a simple HD crash put you in this situation is not good. Hard drives crash a lot.

Aperture Application version and Library version differ

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.