Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 not connecting to routers overseas with Airplane mode in ON position

I have an iPhone 5 with software iOS 6.1.4. I recently traveled to Europe this summer and attempted to use my iPhone over Wi-Fi. I turned the Airplane mode "on" and enabled Wi-Fi. The phone could not recognize the the router. After several hours of frustration and troubleshooting I discovered that I could turn the airplane mode of "off", turn cellular data "off", find the router name and connect manually to the router. I had to go into the security settings and manually select "WPA" then go back and enter the router password. It would finally connect to the router. However I noticed that the cellular service was trying to connect to the available cellular networks in the area where I was (Italy). I was not sure if I was operating on the cellular network or the wi-fi network. When I went back into the settings I noticed the cellular data turned itself back "on", even after I had manually turned it "off". It kept turning itself back on. I called AT&T and they advised that I was not being charged any roaming. I later found this not to be true after I received over $50 in roaming charges. I reset my network connections several times and nothing seemed to work. I had this problem all over Europe and with routers in hotels and other spots. What is the problem???

Configuration:

Airplane Mode On

WIFI would not work with available router

Configuration:

Airplane Mode Off

Wifi On

Cellular data Off

WIFI works after manually selecting the available router by

(1) entering the name of router vice iPhone automatically searching and selecting available router

(2) manually entering the security type (WPA, WEP..)

(3) entering WIFI password to the router

Still received roaming charges though cellular data turned off but WIFI wont work with Airplane Mode turned on.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 2:46 AM

There are no replies.

iPhone 5 not connecting to routers overseas with Airplane mode in ON position

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.