Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Force Format USB drive? (Permissions lost)

Hi all,

Normally I would just buy a new one - but I am stuck at sea for 2 months! 😟

• I have a 32GB San disk USB Cruze (USB Stick)
  • I have owned it from new and used it on the same computer. For some reason I have lost permissions for it. I can read, but that is all.
  • I wish to either regain ownership of the USB stick and therefore have full permissions or I don't mind formatting and starting from scratch.

A long time has been spent on this, with no light seen at the end of the tunnel..!

• In DiskUtility as I have no persmissions I cannot do anything (First Aid or Restore) except view the USB stick
  • In Terminal I keep coming accross "Permission denied". The route of the USB is; /dev/disk0s2

Can I force a format or anything? I am not a computer wizard, so any terminal commands to help, please include what I need, I sometimes get lost when people say <something> <something> i'm not always sure what they are refering to..

I look forward to seeing if there is a solution, it would really save me with regards to my studies whilst i'm at sea. 😀

If there is a program (a small one) I maybe able to download it, if there's one to brute force a format..

Hope someone can help.. 😎

Thanks Matt

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 5:35 AM

27 replies

Sep 10, 2013 8:24 AM in response to wheretofindmatt

If you do a Get Info on the drive from finder is the drive locked?

Never seen Disk Utility refuse an Admin access to a drive

In DiskUtility as I have no persmissions I cannot do anything (First Aid or Restore) except view the USB stick

What to you mean by view the USB stick in this context?

Some USB sticks come with software installed that will give this behavior but you say you have been able to read and write this specific USB stick in the past. Has anything changed on your system or the stick?

Sep 10, 2013 8:33 AM in response to wheretofindmatt

You should be able to change the permissions of the flash dirve without having to erase all the data on it by reformating.

Check the current owner/group settings of the flash drive (make sure it's plugged in). The following code will show which volumes are on the system and some details about those volumes:

In Terminal:

enter "cd /Volumes"

enter "ls -l"

User uploaded file

In my example, the "NO NAME" drive is a usb drive connected to my computer. Note the two names associated with the usb volume (mine are "johnjaques" and "staff"), whate are yours?

Sep 10, 2013 9:12 AM in response to wheretofindmatt

As mentioned earlier, the first name in the series is the Owner and the second is the Group for the volume. I wanted to make sure you were the owner in this case, you are.

You can use the diskutil tool in Terminal to re-format the Volume if you'd like, just know it will erase all the data off the USB drive.

In Terminal (type):

"diskutil reformat 32GB\ USB"

In addition, for a complete listing of diskutil options type "man diskutil" in Terminal (space bar to show more, q to exit).

Sep 10, 2013 9:13 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, not the answer I was looking for!! 😉

The work PC wont format it or write to it either (it's in FAT32). If that is the case, then it's a bit silly..

I'm sure there's some wizardry someone can give me! Or i'll live in hope (for 2 months any way!)

Linc Davis wrote:

"Some flash drives have a failure mode in which they are irreversibly write-locked by the internal controller when it detects a write error. "

How to Force Format USB drive? (Permissions lost)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.