Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should my Firewall always be on when using my Mac desktop?

I've been messing around with my dektop today and I noticed that my Firewall has been off for some time nows. Should I always have the built-in firewall on? The reason why I ask is because I have my mac with me at college and I don't want anyone getting into my computer (somehow) and messing with all my files that I need for my classes.

Should my Firewall be on?

If so, how should its settings be configured?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 6:50 AM

5 replies

Sep 10, 2013 7:10 AM in response to DevintheStone

Hi. Welcome. The Firewall it self is not really nessasary. There isnt much that can break the OS of your computer but to avoid people messing around with your files you could make sure you have your file sharing and what not turned off. Unless of corse you need it on.

To check this go to System Preferances > sharing and check what you do and dont have ticked. Connecting to a public network isnt the most secure to be honest ,but if it is a college or a uni network then i can imagine it has some proxy configuration and a college Firewall managed from you local IT admin dude.

hope this helps 🙂

Should my Firewall always be on when using my Mac desktop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.