Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Script to Copy preference file to all users profiles and to the default template

I have build a package using Apple PackageMaker, this will install an application and a preference (plist) file to the current logged in user. Now I wanted to build a postflight script, which can copy a plist (ex com.test.plist) form an current logged in user to other user account on a machine also to the default user template (/System/Library/user template/...../Library/preferences) so any new user account created will have same preference file copied.

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 8:06 AM

14 replies

Sep 10, 2013 8:43 AM in response to RahulYadav

also to the default user template (/System/Library/user template/...../Library/preferences) so any new user account created will have same preference file copied

This is a very BAD idea. Third party software should NEVER modify the operating system distribution. Code your application to create a default preference, if one is not already created.

Sep 10, 2013 8:57 AM in response to Mark Jalbert

Mark...thanks for your reply. I do agree's it's a bad idea to change the default template. But, I thought that could be the easied way to get the prefence copied to every new user.

I just created a snapshot based package using Apple packagemaker. This will install the applicationa at (/Applications) and the preference file to the current logged in user.

I am new to scripting, can you share some details to create a default preference for new user? I need to use the same preference file for all user accounts.

Sep 10, 2013 1:35 PM in response to naresh akula

Well, you can try this postinstall script. It assumes that the preference file is located in package.pkg/Content/. I did not test it. Use at your own risk.

#!/bin/sh

ls $3/Users/ | while read USERS; do
if [ -d $3/Users/$USERS/Library/Preferences/ ]; then
    cp $1/Contents/org.mypreference.plist $3/Users/$USERS/Library/Preferences/
    chown $USERS:Staff $3/Users/$USERS/Library/Preferences/org.mypreference.plist
done
exit 0

The package must be installed by an admin user.

Sep 13, 2013 8:04 AM in response to Mark Jalbert

Hi Mark...thanks for the script. My package place the script into the current logged in user library. So I made some change to the package, and now instead of putting the preference file in user profile, I put it /private/var and from here I would like to copy it to all the users on the machine.

So, I tried to change the location in your script as below, but it doesn't seems to be working as expected. It comes up with the following error

line 7: syntax error: near unexpected end token 'done'

line 7: 'done'

#!/bin/sh
cp $1/private/var/org.mypreference.plist $3/Users/$USERS/Library/Preferences/
chown $USERS:Staff $3/Users/$USERS/Library/Preferences/org.mypreference.plist
done
exit 0

Sep 13, 2013 9:29 AM in response to RahulYadav

Hello Rahul,

My bad, I forgot to close the conditional statement. The construct should look like this->

if test; then
 do something
fi

Here's a list of the shell's arguements in package

$0 - Script path
$1 - Package path
$2 - Target location
$3 - Target volume
$4 - /

It been a while since I created a package. I can't remember if you need the trailing "/" in the path with an arguement. If I find some time I'll test.

Scripts shouldn't be changing ownership according to Apple so let's modify what I gave you.

#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/install -m 600 -u $USERS -g Staff $3/private/var/org.mypreference.plist $3/Users/$USERS/Library/Preferences/
     fi
done
exit 0

Again, the user who installs your package needs to be an admin user.

Sep 13, 2013 11:21 AM in response to Mark Jalbert

Hello Mark, Thanks again for your help. I am still unable to get it worked. When I ran the script it comes up with the following error:

/usr/bin/install: illegal option -- u

usage: install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]

[-o owner] file1 file2

install [-bCcpSsv] [-B suffix] [-f flags] [-g group] [-m mode]

[-o owner] file1 ... fileN directory

install -d [-v] [-g group] [-m mode] [-o owner] directory ...

/usr/bin/install: illegal option -- u

Sep 13, 2013 11:30 AM in response to RahulYadav

Once again, a typo-

/usr/bin/install -m 600 -u $USERS -g Staff $3/private/var/org.mypreference.plist $3/Users/$USERS/Library/Preferences/
should be
/usr/bin/install -m 600 -o $USERS -g Staff $3/private/var/org.mypreference.plist $3/Users/$USERS/Library/Preferences/

I made one test package and the postinstall script failed. Will try again later. Let us know if you have any luck.

Sep 14, 2013 4:30 AM in response to Mark Jalbert

Hello Mark..I tried it with the new script as you said, this time it comes with below syntax error :

line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `then'

line 4: ` if [ -d $3/Users/$USERS/Library/Preferences/ ]; then'

Below is the script

#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/install -m 600 -o $USERS -g Staff $3/private/var/org.mypreference.plist $3/Users/$USERS/Library/Preferences/
     fi
done
exit 0

Sep 14, 2013 4:52 AM in response to RahulYadav

Hi Mark...here is another script which work well if I have to copy my preference file from an account named as "admin" or some other account. However, it not certain that all Mac machine will have a account named as "admin". This is why I am looking for a way to copy the preference file from /private/var location to all user accounts on a mac.

#!/bin/sh

localUsers=$( dscl . list /Users UniqueID | awk '$2 >= 501 {print $1}' | grep -v admin )

for userName in "$localUsers"; do
     cp /Users/admin/Library/Preferences/org.mypreference.plist /Users/$userName/Library/Preferences/
     chown $userName /Users/$userName/Library/Preferences/org.mypreference.plist
done

I tried to update it as suggest in some other forum like this, still no luck 😟

#!/bin/sh

UserAccounts=`dscl . list /Users UniqueID | awk '$2 > 500 { print $1 }'`
for userName in "$UserAccounts"; do
     cp /private/var/org.mypreference.plist /Users/$userName/Library/Preferences/
     chown $userName /Users/$userName/Library/Preferences/org.mypreference.plist
done

When I run the above script it comes up with the following error:

cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-fi | -n] [-apvX] source_file target_file

cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-fi | -n] [-apvX] source_file ... target_directory

chown: admin: No such file or directory

chown: admin/Library/Preferences/org.mypreference.plist: No such file or directory

Sep 14, 2013 6:00 AM in response to RahulYadav

I got the postinstall script to work in a package with one modification.

#!/bin/sh

if [ -d $3/Users/$USERS/Library/Preferences ]; then
     fi
done
exit 0

An admin users is any user who belongs to the group admin not necessarily a user named admin. I have one login account on my computer so I can't test whether the plist will install in other accounts. What version of OS X are you using to make your package? I'm using 10.6.

Sep 14, 2013 6:31 AM in response to Mark Jalbert

I just tried to build the packge with the above script, the installation of package fails, while executing the postflight script. The package installs the application to /Application and then copies the preference file to /private/var and then it fails while executnig the script. The error is same

line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `then'

line 4: ` if [ -d $3/Users/$USERS/Library/Preferences ]; then'

Currently I am testing it on 10.8 machine to build my package. On Monday, Once I get back to work I will give a try on 10.6 as well.

What does the command "

/usr/bin/install -m 600
" this performs??

Thank Again for all your efforts in helping me out...Have a great weekend 🙂

Sep 14, 2013 6:50 AM in response to RahulYadav

Try quoting like this

#!/bin/sh

ls "$3/Users/" | while read USERS; do
     if [ -d "$3/Users/$USERS/Library/Preferences" ]; then
          /usr/bin/install -m 600 -o $USERS -g Staff "$3/private/var/org.mypreference.plist" "$3/Users/$USERS/Library/Preferences/"
     fi
done
exit 0

install copies the target file to the destination directory, the -m sets the mode to rw for the owner, -o set the owner, -g sets the group

Script to Copy preference file to all users profiles and to the default template

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.