Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when I turn on my computer, all I see is a small icon in the center of the screen which alternates between a question mark and a smiley face. clicking on it does nothing. help!

when I turn on my computer, all that comes on to the screen is a small icon in the center of the monitor which alternates between a question mark and a smiley face. clicking on the icon does nothing. what can I do?

power mac g4-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 9:21 AM

7 replies

Sep 10, 2013 10:02 AM in response to zero1reaper

Your Mac is not seeing the OS X version installed.

The PRAM battery in your PowerMac G4 maybe getting weak.

Try a PRAM reset by holding down the Command-Option-P-R keys on your keyboard when you first startup your Mac. Hold these keys down until your hear your Mac chime twice, then let the keys go and see if your Mac boots up properly.

Good Luck!

Sep 10, 2013 11:26 AM in response to zero1reaper

Try startup manager

hold down option or alt key. poweron machine. click on OS to install. click on large right arrow on screen.

Sometimes if volumes don't appear in Startup Manager (what you get when you hold down the Option key at startup), you need to reset the Mac's PRAM, NVRAM, and Open Firmware. Shut down the Mac, then power it up, and before the screen lights up, quickly hold down the Command, Option, P, and R keys, until the Mac has chimed twice more after the powerup chime.

Then, before the screen lights up, hold down Command-Option-O-F until the Open Firmware screen appears. Then enter these lines, pressing Return after each one:

reset-nvram

set-defaults

reset-all

"The reset-all command should restart your Mac. If so, you have successfully reset the Open Firmware settings."

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1812?viewlocale=en_US

Should the fail...

Try taking the battery out for 10 minutes. Put battery back in. Cross fingers. Power the machine back on.

How to eject a cd from the internal cd drive:

eject cd

List of devices:

devalias

List of variables:

printenv

More than you ever wanted to know about open firmware

http://www.firmworks.com/QuickRef.html

Sep 10, 2013 11:36 AM in response to MichelPM

If this issue persists, it maybe time to replace your PowerMac G4’s PRAM battery.

The battery is located inside your PowerMac and is a half height AA battery.

These batteries only last between 5-7 years (if this is the original PRAM battery it maybe time to replace it).

If from the U.S., these batteries can be purchase either from Radio Shack or more cheaply from Online Mac source OWC.

Here's the link to PRAM battery you need.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/BAA36VPRAM/

when I turn on my computer, all I see is a small icon in the center of the screen which alternates between a question mark and a smiley face. clicking on it does nothing. help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.