Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore photos from iPhoto without Time Machine

I was having trouble opening iPhoto so I deleted the application and reinstalled it on my Macbook Pro. Stupidly I was of the impression that all of the photos I had uploaded to iphoto were also being uploaded simutaneously in my pictures file. I lost about 5,000 photos. I don't have Time Machine. Is there any other way to restore deleted photos on my Mac?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 10:00 AM

The photos are not in the application but are in the iPhoto Library package which is located in your Pictures folder.

Once you get the iPhoto application reinstalled apply the two fixes below in order as needed:

Fix #1

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

2 - run Option #4 to rebuild the database.

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.

2 - click on the Add Library button and select the library you want to add in the selection window..

3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option.

4 - In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.

5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

OT

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2013 10:00 AM in response to Jesse Stafford

The photos are not in the application but are in the iPhoto Library package which is located in your Pictures folder.

Once you get the iPhoto application reinstalled apply the two fixes below in order as needed:

Fix #1

1 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

2 - run Option #4 to rebuild the database.

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.

2 - click on the Add Library button and select the library you want to add in the selection window..

3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option.

4 - In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.

5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

OT

Sep 10, 2013 10:55 AM in response to Jesse Stafford

Yes:

Starting over from scratch with new library

Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:

1. Open the library package like this.

User uploaded file

2. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.

3. Drag the subfolders of the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the open iPhoto Library package into the open iPhoto window a few at a time.

User uploaded file

This will create a new library with the same Events (but not necessarily the same Event names) as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.

Note: your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

Sep 10, 2013 11:30 AM in response to Keith Barkley

When I would attempt to open iPhoto it would start to launch and then shut off. I tried restarting the computer and that didn't help. I moved the application to the trash and subsequently emptied it. I then re-installed the application believing that my photos were still on the computer. Upon doing so only about 1,500 of the 5,200 photos that I had on iphoto before are on the application now. I do have a 14.6GB file in my pictures but I can't seem to figure out how to open it to extract them if that's even possible.

Restore photos from iPhoto without Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.