Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use of iMac as screen for Mac Mini does not work?

I want to use my iMac 21 inch (mid 2011) as a screen for my Mac Mini through a Thunderbolt cable.

I read that when both are connected, I have to press Command + F2. Only problem is that nothing happens.

Am I doing something wrong?

Mac mini

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 1:24 PM

10 replies

Sep 10, 2013 1:31 PM in response to CS1989

Hi, is this how you're doing it?

1. How do I enable TDM?
    • Make sure both computers are turned on and awake.
    • Connect a male-to-male Mini DisplayPort or ThunderBolt cable to each computer.
    • Press Command-F2 on the keyboard of the iMac being used as a display to enable TDM.
    • Note: In Keyboard System Preferences, if the checkbox is enabled for "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard functions keys," the key combination changes to Command-Fn-F2.
  2. How do I exit TDM?
    To leave TDM, press Command-F2 on the keyboard of the iMac that is in TDM. You can also exit TDM if you shutdown or sleep either computer or detach the cable.
  3. Can I use a third-party keyboard or older Apple keyboard to enable TDM?
    Some older Apple keyboards and keyboards not made by Apple may not allow Command-F2 to toggle display modes. You should use an aluminum wired or wireless Apple keyboard to toggle TDM on and off.

Sep 10, 2013 3:43 PM in response to CS1989

No it does not have a Thunderbolt port, check the specifications of a late 2010 MM you will see it has a mini display port. You can find the specficiations for your machine by checking the owners manual, Apple's Web Site under Tech Specs or using a third party tool such as Everymac.com.

Because your machine does not have a Thunderbolt port it does not support Target Display Mode. Apple provides insight into TDM in:

support.apple.com/kb/HT3924

Use of iMac as screen for Mac Mini does not work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.