Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My g5 power pc will not recognise an external usb2 DVDRW

Right: running power pc tower, dual proc, a number of external HD (mainly firewired), also two external DVDRW s.

Recently had an internal drive failure , but now up and running fine, except that now it won't recognise either of the drives' existance, just the main optical.

Tried Disk Utils, USB overdrive, even booted into open firmware to see if they'll help to see the drives (both off USB ports), used the USB fix package. So am confused. Have tried every which way of ordering the turning on, plugging in and wiring up options but to no avail.

I'm not too familiar with command line, but can execute them if properly instructed.

Thanks

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 12:47 PM

7 replies

Sep 10, 2013 4:57 PM in response to BDAqua

Yes, sir, they are - though I've noticed a dramatic decrease in data transfer rate on the port I use for porting USB sticks for my streamer box (it doesn't support mac journaling, but is not connected). I have x11 installed, but couldn't install the MacPorts version I had that was installed on the recently deceased HD. I've used a USB Fix package before and that has fixed similar problems in the past but won't fix this. What were you thinking initially? And many thanks for yr time.

Sep 10, 2013 8:24 PM in response to BDAqua

I'm thinking that they pretty much all [b]can[/b] run off USB , but are running off AC power adaptors - several now, could that be it? Just weird power levels all over the place? It's the same system essentially as I was using before my internal drive gave up (got 4.5 yrs out of it), the drive that I'm trying to make it read has been working, just not since the clean install.

So what do you suggest - stripping all peripherals out then start with the DVD drives, then introduce the external storages? Are there any commands during the startup? I have the USB prober app and iTweax etc. Can retry the usbfix app with everything unplugged except the DVDRW s?

Sep 10, 2013 10:15 PM in response to BDAqua

Ah, nuts I just remembered - when I last fsck'd on startup there was a hang over a Hub issue ; it turned some of the text pink, which was nice. It mentioned not being able to enumerate a value at one of the hubs at the address 0x4b3....; ill have to recheck that, I'm in the middle of something right now that'll take a couple of hours at least, but when that's done with I shall unplug everything to fsck the boot volume, then start plugging stuff in and fsck the bloody thing after each new addition, to see where it stumbles.

I'm interested in the idea of a USB reset though - when my MacDaddy was doing the work on it (very competent, no problem there, definitely) he was using one USB port at back to run a wireless dongle as he was setting the thing up; the g5 might still be looking for that? I use a range extender on a LAN at home, but its a courtesy to him to include the dongle for repairs as he has to get out all the old ppc installers and so forth.

Could you give me some quick instructions for a USB reset please? Preferably not as a page link though because I suffer a little screen-dyslexia after about 5 minutes. Sorry, but even a few pages would be too headache inducing.

One last bit of relevant profiler info - just checking it now and both standard USB connections are reading the following (except location):

Host controller location : built in USB

Driver: AppleUSBOHC1

Pci device id. 0x0035

Pic revision: 0x0043

Vendor id: 0x1033

Bus number: (1 then 2) 0x0b // 0x2b

And the high speed bus is reading as 0x4b

So where're 1 and 3? If that's a thing?

Thankyou for your patience.

Sep 13, 2013 8:16 AM in response to djrjawa

reset FW bus, same goes for USB reset...

Reset the Firewire/USB bus

If your Firewire or USB isn't recognizing any device. A solution which has worked for some whose hard drive became invisible in 10.4 was simply to follow these four steps to reset the Firewire/USB bus:

1. Shut the machine down.

2. UNPLUG the power lead to the computer and any firewire/USB drive or devices.

3. leave it for 10 minutes.

4. Connect back up and reboot.

http://www.macmaps.com/firewirebug2.html

My g5 power pc will not recognise an external usb2 DVDRW

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.