Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I copy mp3 files from my Itunes library to an SD card for use in a non-apple phone?

How can I copy mp3 files from my Itunes library to an SD card for use in a non-apple phone? I can physically copy the tunes as mp3's but the phone does not seem to be able to play all of them. Do I need to copy an entire album or can I just pick & choose individual songs? The phone is question is an LG running who knows what for an operating system.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Dumb phone can't play the songs

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 1:01 PM

11 replies

Sep 10, 2013 1:05 PM in response to billgr0248

billgr0248 wrote:

How can I copy mp3 files from my Itunes library to an SD card for use in a non-apple phone?

Drag the songs from the iTunes window to the SD card on the desktop.

I can physically copy the tunes as mp3's but the phone does not seem to be able to play all of them.

What is the format of these songs (look at the file extension).

Does teyour phone play this iTunes format?

iTunes purchases are AAC.

Sep 10, 2013 1:10 PM in response to Chris CA

I import all my music to Itunes as mp3's by ripping CD's. The LG phone does not appear to play Itunes format...as a test if I copy an entire album to the card the phone only sees the individual mp3's but won't play the 1st track...it errors out saying there is something wrong with the track. Some of the other tracks it will play but not all.

Sep 10, 2013 10:13 PM in response to billgr0248

It might be helpful for you if you enable the Kind column in the iTunes browser.

Switch to Song view then pull down View > View Options and select Kind. Now you can close the small window. Tracks ripped from CD as MP3 will be MPEG Audio Files, AAC files will be AAC Audio Files, etc. Find some of the tracks that won't play on the new phone and see what the Kind is, then look up the specs for the phone on the internet and see if it supports that file type.

Sep 10, 2013 10:14 PM in response to billgr0248

AAC is Advanced Audio Coding. Basically it's a format that sounds better than MP3 but doesn't take up as much space as a lossless format (like you'd have on a CD). More than likely you've had that encoding turned on when you ripped your music into itunes (it's the default encoder). Therefore your LG phone won't play them.

You need to turn off the AAC format by going to the iTunes menu, Preferences, General (at the top), then clicking the "Import Preferences" button. Change the AAC Encoder to MP3 Encoder. After that you'll have to make MP3 copies of your songs by right clicking them and selecting "Create MP3 Version." You'll get a copy of the song that should transfer to your SD card and have MP3 encoding. Hopefully your phone will play that.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.