Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video from iMac to a projector

iMac 2011, OS Mountain Lion 10.8.4, 12 GB RAM

I need to give a talk from a Powerpoint presentation that I have prepared on my iMac, displayed on a digital projector. The digital projector has a cable with a plug/socket (I didn't notice which) which has 15 pins arranged in three rows of 5 pins each, the middle row offset by half a pin-space. The plug/socket has two cylindrical screws to firmly hold the item in place.

So, how can I deliver the PowerPoint presentation to the projector? My iMac does not have any socket looking anything like that.

My iMac has a Thunderbolt output which Apple describes as:

"The iMac (Mid 2011) has Thunderbolt ports that support:

• Mini DisplayPort output using a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable (optional)
  • DVI output using a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (optional)
  • VGA output using a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (optional)
  • Dual-Link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. Supports 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display (optional)
  • HDMI audio and video output using a third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter
  • The Thunderbolt port does not accept input for Target Display Mode via a Mini DisplayPort cable."

If there is no way of getting video out of my iMac, I am stumped. Surely that can be done. FYI, I do not know anything about video, cable types etc. so need specific info.

The following might be relevant:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/B/mini-displayport-to-vga-adapter

and:

http://store.apple.com/uk/search/Mini-DisplayPort-to-VGA-Adapter?afid=p219%7CMSN UK&cid=AOS-UK-KWM-MS_UK_General#!

However, I don't think that my iMac has a "mini-displayport". It has a Thunderbolt port.

----------------------------------

If there is an adaptor for Thunderbolt to the 15 pin projector cable which will work, I need:

A. The specific name of that adaptor

B. The name, specification etc. of the Thunderbolt cable

in a way that a supplier would recognise them.

Thanks for any help.

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 1:59 PM

Thunderbolt is backwards compatible with Mini DisplayPort. You just need a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter.

1 reply

Video from iMac to a projector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.