Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi ISP keeps failing

Hi everyone.

I'm having trouble with my wireless continually dropping out. The problem manifests itself as a loss of internet connection - either when I'm trying to go to a new website, or the site I'm on becomes unresponsive (e.g. hyperlinks stop working or content stops loading/times out).

When the problem occurs, I go to 'Open Network Preferences > Assist Me > Diagnostics'. Under 'Network Status' the first three lights are usually green, but the ISP light is either Orange or Red with the word 'Failed' underneath. The remaining lights are orange (see screenshot below).

From this point, I start clicking through the diagnostic questions and, invariably, the lights go green, the wifi picks back up and everything starts working normally again. But I have to do this every time the problem occurs!

I have tried resetting the router, clearing the network from my preferred networks and then re-adding it, and renaming the network name and password, but nothing seems to have worked.

I recently changed internet provider (from basic Virgin broadband to BT Infinity). So far as I can tell, this problem only happens with wifi - when I use an ethernet cable it works fine. Also, a friend has used her laptop at my place without any problem, so I think it must be something to do with my Mac (though am not convinced it is a hardware fault as it seems to work ok when I use it elsewhere).

I'd be really grateful for any advice / help and would be especially grateful if you could keep things simple as my Mac-skills are very basic!

Thank you!

Stats:

Macbook Pro, early 2011

Running OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 1:45 PM

2 replies

Sep 10, 2013 2:27 PM in response to jdlondontown

Back up all data before making any changes.

Step 1

Take all the applicable steps in this support article.

Step 2

If you're running OS X 10.8.4 or later, run Wireless Diagnostics and take the remedial steps suggested in the summary that appears, if any. The program also generates a large file of information about your system, which would be used by Apple Engineering in case of a support incident. Don't post the contents here.

Step 3

If you're not using a wireless keyboard or trackpad, disable Bluetooth by selecting Turn Bluetooth Off from the menu with the Bluetooth icon. If you don't have that menu, open the Bluetooth preference pane in System Preferences and check the box marked Show Bluetooth in menu bar. Test. Continue if you find that Wi-Fi is faster with Bluetooth disabled.

From that same menu, select Open Bluetooth Preferences. If the box labeled Discoverable is checked, uncheck it. Click the Advanced button, and in the sheet that opens, uncheck the top three boxes, if any are checked. Click OK. Enable Bluetooth and test again.

If the application called "Bluetooth Setup Assistant" is running, quit it.

Step 4

This step will erase all your settings in the Network preference pane. Make a note of them before you begin, and recreate them afterwards. It may be helpful to take screenshots of the preference pane.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item named "SystemConfiguration" selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator password.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C). In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V). You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Reset the System Management Controller.

Step 5

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service center.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional — ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Wifi ISP keeps failing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.