Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect the remote app on my iDevice to my computer?

I've seen this question asked plenty of times and have followed all of the suggested fixes and still cannot figure this out.

I am running Windows 8, with iTunes version 11.0.5

My iDevice is an iPhone 4 running iOS 6.1.3

My Remote app is version 3.0.1

On the Remote app, all I see (other than the settings icon) is

"Turn on Home Sharing in iTunes on your computer or Apple TV using the account (my account name)

I have turned on Home Sharing for both iTunes, as well as my iPhone.

I have went to "Settings>Music>Turn on Home Sharing" This is on.

I have opened iTunes and went to "File>Home Sharing>Turn Home Sharing on."

I have opened the remote app. "Settings" Home Sharing is on.

Each of these are using the same Apple ID.

I have tried deleting the app and redownloading it.

I have tried restarting my computer.

I have tried exiting/signing out of iTunes.

I have tried turning my phone off, and back on again.

I have checked my firewall settings, and iTunes is allowed.

Both my PC, and my iPhone are connected to the same network. The iPhone wirelessly, and my desktop is hardwired.

I have seen many other people say "Where is the remote button?" With the reply "There is no remote button."

I have not found this button either. When I go onto the Remote app on my iPhone and go to settings, there is an option to "Add an iTunes Library."

When I press this, I get a four digit code and the message, "To add an iTunes library, open iTunes on your computer and select "Don's iPhone" from the Devices list."

When going to iTunes "File>Devices" I get the following.

Sync. Transfer Purchases. Back Up. Restore From Backup.

I have read in other related posts that your iDevice is supposed to show up on the top right of the screen, next to the iTunes Store button.

This does not happen for me, unless I plug in my iDevice via USB.

I have also read that the "Remote" button is supposed to be located here, but I cannot find one.

In the iTunes "Help>iTunes Help>Search Remote>Use the Remote app to control your iTunes library>Pair Remote with an iTunes library" It states:

"

1. Tap Remote on your device’s Home screen.
  2. Tap Add an iTunes Library.A 4-digit code appears.
  3. Open iTunes on your computer and click the Remote button User uploaded file.
  4. Type the 4-digit code in the iTunes window.iTunes pairs the library on your computer with the Remote app on your device."

Of course, I cannot find this Remote button as mentioned before. I have run out of option on what I know to do, and what suggestions I have found to try.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

iPhone 4, Windows 8

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 4:23 PM

5 replies

Sep 10, 2013 5:12 PM in response to Chris CA

Thank you for the reply.

ctrl B makes the top bar (File. Edit. View. Controls. Store. Help.) appear and disappear.

ctrl S makes a side bar appear on the left side of iTunes. It shows the library which has Music. Movies. TV Shows. Apps. Playlists. Ect.

When I did the steps you suggested, my iPhone did not show up in that list.

I checked my firewall settings again, and they seem to be okay. My firewall is the only thing that I am not 100% sure of. If I go to Control Pannel>System and Security>Windows Firewall>Allow an app through Windows Firewall. It shows that iTunes is allowed. I'm not sure if something else might need to be allowed as well though. I have a few Remote options that are not allowed such as, Remote Event Log Management, Remote Scheduled Tasks Management, Remote Shutdown, Remote Volume Management, and Routing and Remote Access. I'm not sure if any of these need to be allowed or not, or if they are even affiliated with iTunes.

How do I connect the remote app on my iDevice to my computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.