Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Do Not Disturb, will my alarm sound, but silence calls, texts and notifications?

If I use Do Not Disturb, will my alarm sound, but silence text, and calls?

iPhone 4

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 8:03 PM

Your alarm will still sound with DND on. But, there are a few times when it didn't go off for me and I think it was because my vibrate switch was on. Typically, if DND is off, but your vibrate switch is on (meaning you have it set so calls and such will not make sound by way of that switch on the side) then your alarm will still go off. However if your vibrate switch is on while DND is on, i believe it silences the alarm.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2014 8:03 PM in response to Bitsygill

Your alarm will still sound with DND on. But, there are a few times when it didn't go off for me and I think it was because my vibrate switch was on. Typically, if DND is off, but your vibrate switch is on (meaning you have it set so calls and such will not make sound by way of that switch on the side) then your alarm will still go off. However if your vibrate switch is on while DND is on, i believe it silences the alarm.

Jan 3, 2017 2:55 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Well, it did on my new iPhone 7plus. Just got the phone and first use of alarm did NOT go off. Both my mute button and DND were on. I assume they've either changed it on the new phone or via the software. It not only didn't sound, it wasn't silently running either. In the past, a missed alarm was the first thing on the screen when you looked at your phone. In my case, no message at all, but the alarm was still green (on) and it was set for AM not PM. This is crazy! I had this problem with Samsung phones and that's why I switched back to Apple.

Jan 3, 2017 7:26 PM in response to reynona

reynona wrote:

Well, it did on my new iPhone 7plus. Just got the phone and first use of alarm did NOT go off. Both my mute button and DND were on. I assume they've either changed it on the new phone or via the software.

No, it hasn't been changed. However, there have been some reports of issues if you have Bedtime set to wake you at the same time as an alarm.

Oct 25, 2013 4:42 AM in response to trakais

trakais wrote:

Actually Alarm will NOT sound. Tested today, by being late to work because of this. As far as I understand, the best workaround is to schedule the DND function to turn off right before the alarm.

Then there is something wrong with your device. I've done repeated tests on a variety of devices. The alarm sounds. You have to be using the built in Clock app.

Have you tried resetting your device? Force closing the Clock app? Have you made sure that the volume was turned up?

Best of luck.

Using Do Not Disturb, will my alarm sound, but silence calls, texts and notifications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.