Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I sure hope Touch ID will work with Corporate email PINs

So I'm curious, the one thing that is a real drag about adding Corporate email to my iPhone 5 is the fact that they enforce a 4-digit PIN policy. Will Touch ID work to unlock my phone when Corporate email is installed instead of me having to enter the 4-digit PIN? I sure hope so!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 5:16 PM

14 replies

Sep 10, 2013 8:49 PM in response to 105437

My understanding is that with iOS 7, Touch ID will have access to your password keychain, so that you will be able to use Touch ID to scan your fingerprint and allow an app to access a password from the keychain. Since fingerprints will be stored only locally on your device, that is how things will probably work for authenticating iTunes and App Store purchases as well. So yes, I believe that Exchange or any other application, while not given full access to use Touch ID and recognize your fingerprints themselves, will be able to use iOS 7's integration of the firmware to retrieve and automatically enter passwords. Hope this is the answer you were looking for.

Sep 11, 2013 9:28 AM in response to 105437

I'm hoping for this too, but I think you guys are talking about (forgive me) apples and oranges.

105437 is specifically referring to an Exchange security requirement that mobile devices have a 4-digit pin as a lock-screen requirement when connecting an Exchange account into the device.

We already know that other forms of authentication - Androids swipe gestures, iOS's complex lock codes - do NOT satisfy this requirement. They simple-mindedly insist on just a 4-digit pin for a lock code.

Vojta's suggestion that TouchID will be able to store the passwords and substitute them in where necessary is almost certainly correct. But it probably will not apply to the lock screen, because that isn't a "password" to the Exchange server. It's just an enforced security requirement.

Now... if iOS7 reports back to Exchange that 4-digit pin is in-use when really TouchID is in use... I can see someone's sensibilities being hurt and then entire device types suddenly stop working after a few days and patch-tuesday. It's one of those "stupid law, so change the law" things. I think Exchange has to budge on this, not device makers telling Exchange what it wants to hear.

Besides, you know what'll happen... we'll eventually get Exchange to allow TouchID. But every 45 days it'll tell us we need to get new fingerprints. :-P

Message was edited by: Dethpickle (I wasn't specific enough... duh)

Sep 20, 2013 1:28 PM in response to Juanefny

So, then, the next question is what happens when you reach the end of Exchange's TTL on your 4-digit pin?

Do you still have a 4-digit pin? If so, you'll probably just be forced to change it (if you can remember it after 6 mo of not using it).

This is sounding better and better. Now, just so long as MS doesn't cry foul and disable iPhones out of spite.

I sure hope Touch ID will work with Corporate email PINs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.