Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

some messages in mail.app only show raw html code

I just migrated my wife's machine (a 2002 Windows XP) to iMac (10.8.4) . Unfortunately, some, but not all mail messages appear as raw html code.

The most typical of these have been imported from Eudora 7, and I suspect an error in translation of carriage returns to new lines.

But others are just mails received. I have yet to discover the common thread.

However, is there a way to force html interpretation, or at least to discover the flaw, and devise a fix?

By the way, the messages are rich text, because a URL buried in there appears as a link. I can verify that by copying the message to Textedit and switching into plain text, and it does switch to plain text.

So my guess is that somehow an html code error has been inserted at some stage. It is hard to sort out as the html code is a single long string, with no breaks, carriage returns, etc. I can provide an example if that would help.

BTW I am not facile with html, which does not help! :-(

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), some email only show raw html code,

Posted on Sep 11, 2013 7:51 AM

2 replies

Sep 11, 2013 8:21 AM in response to jbminster

By the way, also, the html code is interpreted correctly by the html tester on the following web site:

http://www.webtutorialplus.com/html-code-tester.aspx

So it seems that perhaps a simple edit should make it compatible with Mail App.

I have verified that all uninterpreted messages where all I see is html raw code, are interpreted and rendered beautifully by the tool at the link above. All I need do is to coy and paste the body of the message. So it seems that what is missing is something to trigger the interpretation in Mail App. Right?

some messages in mail.app only show raw html code

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.