Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

required antivirus software

My school is requiring me to get antivirus software and after researchign what would or would not be ok for my Macbook Pro I downloaded ClamXav. But when the program is running it absolutely drains my battery life, and my computer gets way warmer than it ever has in the past. Are there any other programs I could install so I can still use my computer on the school's Wifi, that doesn't affect my computer negatively like this?

Posted on Sep 11, 2013 8:03 AM

3 replies

Sep 11, 2013 8:23 AM in response to averyd

Never heard of ClamXav doing that, it should just run quietl in the background.

You may find this User Tip on Viruses, Trojan Detection and Removal, as well as general Internet Security and Privacy, useful: The User Tip seeks to offer guidance on the main security threats and how to avoid them.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2435

More useful information can also be found here:

www.thesafemac.com/mmg

Sep 11, 2013 9:26 AM in response to averyd

averyd wrote:

My school is requiring me to get antivirus software and after researchign what would or would not be ok for my Macbook Pro I downloaded ClamXav. But when the program is running it absolutely drains my battery life, and my computer gets way warmer than it ever has in the past.

For fastest, most efficient assistance please visit the ClamXav Forum.

Virtually all A-V software requires high CPU use when actively scanning, so I suspect you will find the same situation with most any of them.

It's not clear whether you are talking about the ClamXav application when you are conducting a manual scan or the Sentry watch feature available with the web site version.

If it's the application then only run it when plugged into a power supply and you aren't using your MBP (e.g. overnight).

If the latter, then you are probably trying to monitor the entire hard drive, which is not normally necessary and involves attempting to scan thousands of temporary files that may not even still be there when it's time to scan them. Most users find that monitoring their home directory and any flash drives when mounted is a reasonable compromise which covers all new files from e-mail, web sites, downloads and drives without overburdening the CPU.

Sep 11, 2013 9:33 AM in response to averyd

Other Anti-Virus software is NOT better. ClamXAV is one of the best and once it is done its initial scanning, is fairly unobtrusive if set correctly.

DO NOT, under any circumstances Install More than ONE Anti-Virus program at the same time, or you may make your machine completely unusable. Everything one Anti-Virus program does looks like a Virus to another such program.

required antivirus software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.