Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EXS24 MkII not finding Samples in ~/library/application support/logic

As I understand it, EXS24 should find samples saved in either of the following locations:

~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments/

/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments/

It certainly finds the (factory installed) samples in the /Library folder, but it isn't find them in my user folder, even after clicking "refresh menu."

One thing that seems odd, and may have something to do with this issue: there was no pre-existing Logic folder in ~/Library/Application Support/. I had to create it. Shouldn't this folder be created automatically when you install and launch Logic?

Posted on Sep 11, 2013 12:38 PM

8 replies

Sep 11, 2013 2:23 PM in response to ericmurphsf

That's actually the location for the instrument files, rather than the associated samples.

I've had a bit of confusion about this myself - it does actually say in the manual (still on L9)

'To copy sampler instruments to your hard drive

1 Copy the sampler instrument file into the ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler

Instruments folder.

2 Copy the associated samples into a folder named Samples in the same folder as the Sampler Instruments folder.'

In my experience, the instrument file has to be located where Logic expects to find it, but you can create an alias to point to another folder - also the related audio files will be found wherever they are, but that involves using the OS Spotlight utility, so sometimes a Spotlight re-index can be necessary.

I think I understand it better, but one of the usual suspects will come along and provide a more confident answer I expect.

Sep 11, 2013 2:25 PM in response to CCTM

It's simpler than that. The user guide is simply in error (maybe a holdover from Logic 9 or something?).

In my specific case, I was trying to conver a SoundFont2 (.SF2) file. The way you do that is you simply copy the file to the "Sampler Instruments" file, open it in EXS24, and it converts it in place on the fly. The problem was, as my question stated, getting Logic to find the sample file.

The correct location is ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Sampler Instruments/. Once I moved the .SF2 file to that location, it worked great.

Sep 11, 2013 2:37 PM in response to chorleyman

chorleyman wrote:

That's actually the location for the instrument files, rather than the associated samples.

I've had a bit of confusion about this myself - it does actually say in the manual (still on L9)

'To copy sampler instruments to your hard drive

1 Copy the sampler instrument file into the ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler

Instruments folder.

2 Copy the associated samples into a folder named Samples in the same folder as the Sampler Instruments folder.'

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect in Logic Pro X, for reasons given above. I have the feeling the docs team just missed this one, because when I moved the .SF2 file to the location I gave above, Logic Pro X was able to convert the SoundFont file to .exs format and make it available as a Sampler Instrument (and it created an additional folder at the same leve as Sampler Instruments/l, in my case "SoundFont Samples," which contains the actual .wav files comprising the samples). Presumably if I imported DLS or Gigasampler files, it would create folders for those sample formats as well.

Moreover, the ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/ folder doesn't even exist after installing and launching Logic Pro X and ESX24.

The current (or, in my case, at least working properly) location makes a lot more sense now that the ~/Library folder is hidden. The Audio Music Apps/ folder has tons of other stuff from Logic in there as well: channel strips settings, plug-in settings, etc.

Sep 11, 2013 2:42 PM in response to ericmurphsf

Your answer doesn't really match the question that you initially raised, but, anyway, I'm glad you've sorted it - the EXS deals with soundfont files in a nice, neat way I think - I have one or two bits of stuff I got like that and they're fine.

There have been some changes in Logic X, I believe, but I'm not too bothered at the moment, just keep on doing stuff with what I've got, he he...

Sep 11, 2013 2:50 PM in response to chorleyman

Yeah, I wasn't clear on the distinction between Sampler Instruments and Samples (I've been using Logic Pro for, like, a week), but in any case the paths given in the user guide are clearly erroneous. Although things might be different if you upgrade from 9 to X; the paths 9 used might be carried forward. But since I've never used an earlier version of Logic…

The trick really was figuring out where EXS wanted to save instrument files, and assuming it would also load them from the same location. The default save location (at least, for a fresh install of LP X, not an upgrade from an earlier version), is ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Sampler Instruments, and sure enough, EXS will load them from there, too.

Sep 11, 2013 3:23 PM in response to ericmurphsf

Hi

ericmurphsf wrote:

Although things might be different if you upgrade from 9 to X; the paths 9 used might be carried forward. But since I've never used an earlier version of Logic…

The trick really was figuring out where EXS wanted to save instrument files, and assuming it would also load them from the same location. The default save location (at least, for a fresh install of LP X, not an upgrade from an earlier version), is ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Sampler Instruments, and sure enough, EXS will load them from there, too.

You are correct: LPX defaults to the Audio Music Apps folder. When you have LP9 installed, this folder is 'hard-linked' to the ~/Library:Application Support/Logic folder (for 'backwards compatibility").

CCT

EXS24 MkII not finding Samples in ~/library/application support/logic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.