Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disk erase failed with the error wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed

Hi!

I bought a brand new HDD (Toshiba 1tb) and installed it on my Macbook pro mid 2009. Today, when I tried to install Mountain Lion, it doesn´t show the disk to be installed. I read I needed to give format to the HDD and partition it (if desired).

On the Disk utility, I set only one partition, set the format to Mac extended, on the options I choose GUID partition table, and when I hit "apply" the following message comes up:

"the error disk erase failed with the error wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed"

I've been reading a lot of forums, other threads, discussions, in both spanis ahd english (double search!) and tried it all, but it is not working. Just wanted to check if there's maybe a new solution out there, or any insights from you guys.

Would this be a Mountain Lion issue? is my new HDD defectuous?

Lots of thanks in advance!

Installing Mountain Lion-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), Blank, brand new HDD

Posted on Sep 11, 2013 12:12 PM

2 replies

disk erase failed with the error wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.