Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you clean your macbook pro screen?

My screen has lots of fingerprints and stuff on it and I was wondering if there was any way to clean it without leaving more marks on it. Please give lots of suggestions! 🙂 Thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), pls help!

Posted on Sep 11, 2013 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2017 9:10 AM

I've used Windex sprayed extremely conservatively on a towel for many years. Conservatively - I'm talking spraying it on the towel from a foot to 2 feet away; so the towel is misted only. On my latest Macbook Pro Mid 2014, things must have changed from past gen. The screen seems to have some odd coating on it...like a spray on tint, and over the past couple years it has started to rub away along the edges only (very odd). Of course Apple never, ever said anything about cleaning the screen with any products like Windex.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2017 9:10 AM in response to ktwin939

I've used Windex sprayed extremely conservatively on a towel for many years. Conservatively - I'm talking spraying it on the towel from a foot to 2 feet away; so the towel is misted only. On my latest Macbook Pro Mid 2014, things must have changed from past gen. The screen seems to have some odd coating on it...like a spray on tint, and over the past couple years it has started to rub away along the edges only (very odd). Of course Apple never, ever said anything about cleaning the screen with any products like Windex.

Sep 11, 2013 4:23 PM in response to ktwin939

Quoting from below linked article

Portables

MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air

First shut down your computer and unplug the power adapter when cleaning the outside or screen of your MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air. Then use a slightly damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the computer. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer. Do not use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives that might damage the finish.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226

Sep 11, 2013 4:35 PM in response to ktwin939

many a person has damaged their notebooks by using a wet towel etc. on the monitor.

DAMP: The cotton cloth shouldnt be used unless you can wring it very tight in your hands over a sink and not a drop comes out.

From much past experience,... it seems people have a 100 different definitions of "DAMP"

Tip, only damp wipe the 95% center,...use a dry swab or Qtip on the inner edges and corners.

For some reason countless people have a very bad habit of touching computer screens.

I forward there is never a reason to touch the screen unless it has to be cleaned from touching the screen (mobius loop) 😁

Sep 11, 2013 4:32 PM in response to ktwin939

I use Windex Electronics Cleaner. Non residue. I apply it with a small micofiber cloth which I have dampened with the Windex. Then I use a large (15" x 15") microfiber cloth to wipe the display dry. The display looks like the day it came out of the box.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=335028&catid=184276&aid=338666&ap aram=goobase_filler&device=c&network=g&matchtype=

I found it in the local supermarket.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT THE REGULAR HOUSEHOLD WINDEX.

Ciao.

Oct 11, 2013 5:35 PM in response to ktwin939

Using liquid on the screen sounds a little dangerous to me.... I have a microfiber cleaning cloth that works extremely well! I got it from LYNKtec.com. It has one side that you use for rubbing fingerprints away, and the other side for shining the screen. It works so well. I'd definitely recommend it! It comes in lots of fun designs, too. Mine is "Think Outside the Box".

<Link Edited By Host>

Jul 3, 2014 8:16 AM in response to ktwin939

I would recommend using isopropyl alcohol (i.e. rubbing alcohol). Simply dampen a spot on a cotton rag with some rubbing alcohol and gently wipe the trouble spots.

Fingerprints are the result organic residues from our skin. Organic residues can only be dissolved by solvents (hence the definition of a solvent). The trick is to dissolve the fingerprints without dissolving the plastics that constitute the laptop. Isopropyl alcohol is weak enough to avoid damaging the plastics, but strong enough to remove the fingerprints with wiping. I would avoid using acetone or methanol, as these can dissolve the polymers that constitute plastics.

How do you clean your macbook pro screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.