Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

8th Core High even when Project is closed Logic X

I have a session were the 8th core is very high on the CPU meter. But when I close the session. I am auditioning sounds on the desktop via quicklook or Snapper. I see the 8th core on the CPU meter in logic is still high or peaking.

Is this normal. Is there a way to reset this without quiting logic and restarting it?

thanks

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), w20 Gigs of Ram, 1G NVIDEA GTX-285

Posted on Sep 11, 2013 4:41 PM

10 replies

Jan 15, 2014 11:40 PM in response to R-raidercda

R-raidercda,

You may have misunderstood what the OP was saying.

He didn't say he was maxing out his 8 Core CPU..

He was stating the 8th Core (and not Cores 1-7) itself was maxed out at times... so it was a single core that was being maxed out and that can happen under certain circumstances... I used Snapper and Quicklook as simple examples of some of the applications that could all be using the same core at the same time... (There were probably more apps running in the background) hence why he saw one core maxed out.

Of course, there are other reasons why this can happen too.. but the OP never got back so I left it at that.

Jan 15, 2014 11:44 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

The Art Of Sound wrote:

The core is probably being used by other apps.. (like as you said, running Snapper or quicklook) so it might stay high...

I wouldn't worry about it unless you get any issues with the audio sound... or you get a "CPU overload' message....

If these are Logic's CPU meters they should only show what Logic is using, activity monitor would show what the system is using.

At least I don't think any other application will show up in Logic's meters.

Jan 15, 2014 11:59 PM in response to Pancenter

This has been something of a thorny bone of contention in several discussions Pancenter.. I believe you are correct.. but, if a core is being used outside of Logic.. then does Logic's own meters take that into account or do they ignore it? If it ignores it then what is the real load on that core.. and would it overload even if Logics CPU meter wouldn't show it doing so?

I have never found anyone who really knew one way or the other.... and could prove it 🙂

This is why i don't trust Logic's CPU meters... I just don't think they accurately reflect true usage at times... which is why i suggest ignoring them unless you get a CPU overload message or you can actually hear audio issues etc...

Also, as i have come to realize since posting that.. certain plugins (when loaded) can do strange things in the background that can affect LPX's CPU meters.. like Massive for example, when it decides to reindex it's 'presets' after you save one new preset you create yourself.. LPX shows that activity in it's meters...

Much like mdworker/spotlight in the OS X Activity Monitor... Massive can run 'wild' for a while pushing up the CPU usage on one core.. and then it just stops again... The more presets in the database, the longer it takes and the more load it places on the CPU!

One last thing however with LPX... I've noticed some strange behaviour with Core load sharing.. On occasion the load sharing is just plain wrong/screwed up with loads being placed on only a couple of cores no matter how you try and manually spread the load yourself. Restarting CoreAudio usualy resolves this... and the same project will then playback showing loads spread across the various cores as you would normally expect them to do so.

I suspect there is still something screwy with LPX/CoreAudio/OS X in regards to this whole issue.

Jan 16, 2014 12:16 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

The Art Of Sound wrote:

This is why i don't trust Logic's CPU meters... I just don't think they accurately reflect true usage at times... which is why i suggest ignoring them unless you get a CPU overload message or you can actually hear audio issues etc...

Well, actually I 've been told, wayayayay back in the previous decade, by some senior users (BeeJay, Eric Cardenas?) that Logics' CPU meters are more accurate (faster refresh times) than activity monitors'. You could probably see this when running AM parallel to a Logic session.

A core at max when Logic seems to be idling, can be the sign of a plugin that is processing silence (which can be as intensive as processing sound), or an Instrument with one or more hung notes that have decayed to silence but are technically still sounding. A quick start-stop should clear that though.

And if you really want to know what causes such anomalous activity, then by pas plugins and instruments one by one, until the activity clealy lessens, or stops.

Apr 9, 2014 7:47 AM in response to jojijung

I was having this 8th core spike for a while... Also my fans were running hard when only processing seemingly average tasks... I found the fix for me yesterday.

I use a Lacie Raid thunderbolt with a 2nd monitor running out of it. The Lacie was permanently running 100% on the Activity monitor causing the increased stress. Since updating the Lacie software to the latest version the CPU reading is back in single figues and the 8th core issue is no longer present on all the same projects where the issue was present before.

This may also answer the debate as to whether the Logic CPU meter takes other activity into account...

Taking a sigh of relief now as I thought my Quad i7 2011 MBP was already getting weak with Mavericks...

😀

Peace

8th Core High even when Project is closed Logic X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.