Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Insert key for Windows 8 under Boot Camp

I have a mid-year 2013 MacBook Pro Retina with Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.4, which I was hoping to use mostly as a Windows laptop for software development (in Visual Studio/SQL Server), long document management (Adobe FrameMaker), photo and video editing, etc. I found keyboard shortcuts for Home, End, Page Up/Down, Ctrl-Alt-Del, but can't find a substitute for the Insert (Ins) key. I read multiple threads on this, but none of the suggestions (fn-Enter, F12 fn-Enter, fn-Ctrl-Enter, Shift-0 on num keypad, 0 on num keypad without Num Lock, and a few more) work. I tried hooking up an external Microsoft keyboard, but that doesn't work either. Someone suggested to turn off Insert in MS Word's Preferences, but I use other software. I never use the Insert or Overtype mode, but need to be able to turn it off. Earlier today somehow I found myself in Notepad with the insert (overtype) mode on. Each typed character "ate" a character to the right of it. That's when I realized that this was going to be a problem that I need to solve. I don't want to find myself in the middle of a training sessions, presentation, or meeting without knowing what to do.

Apple's own article shows a puzzling resolve to simply not support this key.

A related problem is the lack of ability to use an embedded numeric keypad on the MacBook itself (I don't want to carry a full-size keyboard when traveling). The keypad is important for entering spcial characters via Alt-xxxx codes in Windows. Anyone in the publishing industry knows how important it is to be able to enter the TM or R symbol, various bullets, n-dash, m-dash, etc. without reaching for the Character map. But here at least there is a solution, whereas I see none for the Insert key.

Just when I thought that Apple has finally realized they can increase market share by making the Mac platform a viable (and preferred) substitute for the generally inferior Windows hardware, it became clear that the company is still dismissive toward some real needs of Windows users.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 768 GB SSD drive, 16 GB RAM

Posted on Sep 11, 2013 6:35 PM

There are no replies.

Insert key for Windows 8 under Boot Camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.