Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with High Res Exporting in FCExpress

Hi,

I'm having trouble with Final Cut Express and exporting a video. I have footage that was taken on a Canon 7D camera. The raw clips are 1920 × 1080 and are “Codec” H.264, Linear PCM. When I view the raw clips in quicktime, they take up the full screen and look great. But in Final Cut, on the timeline they have the black bars at the top, which I don’t think they’re supposed to. So that’s my first question.. why are there the black bars (not grey bars, black)? It seems like it’s a viewing or import setting but I don’t see any options. My second question deals with the export process. When I export it, I need it to be the highest quality possible. I went through all the settings and set it to best everything, but when I exported it at 1920x1080, it came out looking stretched out. I went back and clicked “preserve aspect ratio” and chose all three options, and the “Fit to dimensions” option looks pretty good, in terms of it not being stretched out, but there are still the black bars at the top and the quality doesn’t look as good as it should. Any suggestions? I’ve tried googling and haven’t had any luck. Thanks for any help you can offer!!

RP

Final Cut Express-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 11, 2013 8:49 PM

2 replies

Sep 12, 2013 2:38 AM in response to RiyoPah15

First you should know that FCE doesn't work natively with h.264 files. It will try, but in the long run you'll encounter a lot of problems. Since FCE was designed to only work with the QuickTime DV and AIC formats, you'll need to convert the footage prior to importing. If your version has a Log & Transfer function, there might be a plugin you can download from Canon that will transcode the files into the proper format. But whatever you do, when converting the files, the video specs MUST exactly match the specs of your FCE Sequence.

If you want to edit h.264 files natively, use Adobe Premier or FCP-X.

-DH

Trouble with High Res Exporting in FCExpress

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.