Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewall keeps asking for permission.

Hi,

I've enabled Firewall in OX 10.8 but everytime I open an application that can access the Internet, it keeps asking me that whether I want to allow permission the program to do or not. I checked Firewall in system preferences and it does have list of programs that I allowed to connect to Internet, so why it keeps asking everytime I open those programs?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 5:53 AM

16 replies

Apr 29, 2017 7:40 AM in response to hp79

Yes. Astute observation. And often the thread will be pages and pages of not answering the question. Here's another that is similar. Why do I "trust" my computer and "verify" the browser and yet everytime I sign into the Apple forum I have to "allow" the computer and get a 6 digit verification? Every time.

Microsoft products (Word, Powerpoint, etc) sends me the deny or allow every time. I have it allowed in my firewall, I removed it from the firewall, I turned the firewall off. I get "deny" or "allow" after the first launch. Ev.ery.time.

Apr 29, 2017 7:42 AM in response to TuckerdogAVL

PS And what harm does it do to have more than one firewall? After all, I get three calls a week to take out a $250000 business loan, a guy from India saying my PC (on a Mac) has a virus, and apparently people who want me to answer "yes" on the phone so they can access my accounts? Google wants to know where I am at all times to they can sell me shoes and if I search for anything for a client (marketing/pr) I get a pop up for that product, service competitor, for life.

Nov 2, 2014 8:30 AM in response to Aidinz

Hi guys,

I have the same problem and I just want to add my thoughts.

Ok, fair enough, we don't need two firewalls.

But here is the thing that concerns me. The issue for me is, this asking for permission didn't occur on my mac using mavericks and mountain lion. Why should it appear with Yosemite? I don't understand why it needs to ask for permission repeatedly when I have set the program to allow incoming connections from my firewall settings.

It is also the same case with an app that I have allowed access to use the accessibility feature of my mac. Every time I launch, I have to give permission even though it is already listed on my accessibility preference to have permission. I use this app all the time, and having to repeat this process over and over and over again becomes irritating.

User uploaded file

As much as having two firewalls on at a time is not necessary, I believe it is even more not necessary for me have to go through the silly questions if I do chose to leave the firewall on (don't forget the accessibility) and have given permission to let these apps do what they do. To this, I vote that this issue should get some attention by mac and the community.

Have a great one guys,

Peace.

Feb 12, 2015 6:28 AM in response to Aidinz

It's been bothering me for a while now. More and more apps trigger this annoying dialog, including PHPStorm, MS Word & Excel for Mac. So out of frustration I went into the Firewall Options and deleted all the entries.

Problem solved. No more dialogs .... For the first launch of the application. However, subsequent launches for PHPStorm trigger the pop up again.

More experiments and google lead to a solution of code signing the application. Instructions here https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gnat_ugn/Codesigning-the-Debugger.html

No more annoying dialog! Just have to code sign the rest of the apps that trigger it.

Oct 30, 2015 4:05 PM in response to p0sixDev

It's silly to see some people answering a question that nobody asked. I see this more often in Apple forum than any other.

Some guy asks how do you do this, and this other genius replies "oh you don't need to do that", or "it's designed this way, you are wrong".

You'll see bunch of replies on questions about how to disable that annoying bong noise when booting a Mac.

Anyways, I found this thread because yes I have firewall enabled and I see coupond trying to ask for permission. I always let it do its thing but that popup keeps poping up on every reboot. I'm on Mavericks because Yosemite sucked and I don't see the Crapitan that promising either even on it's 10.11.1 version. I'll eventually move on to Capitan maybe in the next version though because I have Office 2016 now.

Oh, and I have firewall enabled on my OSX because I have a sketchy software and don't want it to be able to access internet.

Firewall keeps asking for permission.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.