Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Viewing a PDF fullscreen on a 16:9 TV from iPad via Apple TV

Dear experts,

I am trying to view a PDF from my iPad3 on my HD-TV using AppleTV 2. All works well except for the fact that due to screen aspect ratio (4:3 iPad vs. 16:9 TV) I end up with black bars left and right. So how can I get the PDF fullscreen on the TV? Is there any reliable App or any other workaround you can recommend?

Thanks a lot!

AppleTV 2, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 6:21 AM

3 replies

Sep 12, 2013 6:59 AM in response to Datamatrix1

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Mirroring won't fill the TV screen. The iPad has an aspect ratio of 4:3 and the iPhone 4S or prior an aspect ratio of 3:2, neither of these will fit exactly into a TV screen which as an aspect ratio of 16:9. The Apple TV will not zoom the mirrored image, because it may well cut off information which is situated at the top or bottom of the screen.

You may wish to try each of the settings in settings > AirPlay > Adjust for Overscan for the best setting that suits you.

You could use the pdf as a photo and use it via homesharing, however if the document is not 16:9 to begin with, the only way you will get it to fill the screen is by cropping the document/photo accordingly, which i suspect is not actually what you want.

Sep 12, 2013 8:02 AM in response to Winston Churchill

You´re absoluetly right Winston.

What I was hoping to get is an App that adapts to the screen. The PDF I am planning to show is very detailed and I am planning to zoom in and scroll through while running a presentation. This is possible from iBooks for instance, but as I mentioned, it gives me black bars left and right. A workaround could be to turn the PDF into a very-high-res picture and use the standard iOS integrated photo-App, but zooming into pictures does not show via airplay/appleTV on the big screen.

Any other ideas, please? 😕

Sep 12, 2013 8:10 AM in response to Datamatrix1

If you want the dispay on your TV to zoom when you zoom on your iPad, use mirroring instead of basic AirPlay:

Basic AirPlay: Assuming both devices are on the same network and that AirPlay is not turned off on the Apple TV, then simply tap on the screen when you are watching content you wish to stream to your Apple TV, then tap the airplay icon that appears in the control bar, choose the Apple TV from the menu that appears.

Mirroring: When displaying the content you wish to mirror on the iPad 2 (or better), iPad Mini, iPhone 4S (or better), double tap the home button (quickly) and swipe the bottom row of apps to the right to reveal the playback controls, tap the AirPlay icon and select your Apple TV from the list of available devices.

If you have a recent iPhone (i.e. one with a 16:9), mirroring will fill your TV screen.

Viewing a PDF fullscreen on a 16:9 TV from iPad via Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.