Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple Apple TVs access iTunes at the same time

I work at a school and we have 30 Apple TVs using home sharing to access iTunes running on a MacMini server. The problem is that two Apple TVs cannot access videos on the server at the same time. Additionally after 1 connects and to that iTunes I have to reset Home Sharing on the server for another Apple TV to connect to it even if the other Apple TV is not accessing it anymore. Thoughts??? Suggestions???

Apple TV (3rd generation), iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 12:36 PM

10 replies

Sep 12, 2013 12:55 PM in response to stafalcon

Several Apple TV's should be able to access iTunes at the same time, however how successful this is will depend on how good your network is. We regularly have 2 or 3 operating at the same time.

All the Apple TV's need to use the same Apple ID for homesharing if they are all to use the same iTunes and iTunes on the computer should use the same ID too. You shouldn't need to keep changing settings in iTunes.

It's not entirely clear if there is a maximum number of Apple TV's one can use.

Sep 12, 2013 1:06 PM in response to Winston Churchill

All Apple TVs are using the same account. Remote App can see all of them. When you try to connect on a second Apple TV it gives an error that that if cannot connect to the servers library and to make sure that itunes is running and up to date, which it is. Restarting the Apple TV will not clear the error. Only signing out of HomeSharing and signing back in on itunes fixes the issue but again for only one AppleTV. Bandwidth not an issue. All devices hardwired over cat6 and cisco gigabit switches.

Sep 12, 2013 3:35 PM in response to stafalcon

stafalcon wrote:

By fix one I mean that the first Apple TV that tries to connect after the home sharing reset is successful. All subsequent connections fail. Does not matter which Apple TV tries to connect. On the first one can connect.

That's quite unusual. It may be a result of network settings, school networks tend to have restrictions that would be unusual in a home network set up, have you had a word with your IT dept.

Sep 13, 2013 7:32 AM in response to stafalcon

Networking isn't my forte, but by mentioning VLAN's it suggests to me that you might not have a single network across the school in the eyes of the Apple TV. The Apple TV will only work over the same network. If your switches are configured to broadcast domains it may be an issue that I'm not aware of. I appreciate that a VLAN should overcome the problems that a subnet would cause, but perhaps in the case of the Apple TV it just doesn't. Additional switches and VLANS are a little beyond me.

Multiple Apple TVs access iTunes at the same time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.