Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to upgrade my old mac pro 1.1 with hardware so i can get mountain lion?

Basically, I have an old Mac Pro Dual-Core Intel Xeon. 2006/7 (I Think), and I was wondering if there was any way i can upgrade everything inside to allow me to have Mountain Lion installed? At the moment the furthest i can do is 10.6.8.

Also if this is possible how much would something like this cost?

Cheers.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 7:10 PM

Not practically. Even if remotely possible it would cost as much as an entry-level MBP in the refurb store and you very well could end up with an unstable device.

The other problem is the form factor. Newer logic boards won't line up with the ports on your case.

8 replies

Sep 12, 2013 9:04 PM in response to Allan Jones

System requirements for OS X Lion and Mac OS X v10.6

OS X Lion system requirements

To use Lion, make sure your computer has the following:

• An Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • Mac OS X v10.6.6 or later to install via the Mac App Store (v10.6.8 recommended); you can install without Mac OS X v10.6 by using an OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive [no longer available]
  • 7 GB of available disk space
  • 2 GB of RAM

If your Mac does not meet these requirements, you will need to upgrade your Mac before installing Lion.

HOW it manages to do this trick when it does not support 64-bit kernel is something I do not know.

Is it possible to upgrade my old mac pro 1.1 with hardware so i can get mountain lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.