4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 5, 2013 5:37 PM by deggie
Full Decent Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am a registered developer and installed each iOS7 beta on my iPad 4th gen without wifi.

Well last time I installed it and I let it sit there for a few days. Now when I plug in to iTunes it says "The software on the iPad FDPAD has expired and must be updated to a newer version". Then I click on "Restore iPad" to upgrade, but... "Find My iPad must be turned off before “FDPAD” can be restored."

So now I can't use my iPad and I can't upgrade it. It is bricked.

Using the iPad has a blocking screen "ACTIVATE IPAD" and clicking next produces "Your iPad could not be activated because the activation service is temporarily unavailable...". I know the server is available because if I type the wrong password it will produce a different message.

Got this message for a few days.

Any ideas?

iPad
  • 1. Re: iPad 4 bricked by iOS7 beta (registered developer)
    Brandon2184 Level 4 Level 4 (1,605 points)

Idea: Post this in the Developer forums. iOS 7 is at this point still unreleased software, which is not supported on these forums.

• 2. Re: iPad 4 bricked by iOS7 beta (registered developer)
    varjak paw Level 10 Level 10 (169,765 points)

If you are an authorized member of Apple's developer program, you have forums and resources through which you can address issues with seed versions of Apple's software. Posting here or in any public forum is a violation of your NDA with Apple. The developer forums can be found here:

https://developer.apple.com/devforums/

Regards.

• 3. Re: iPad 4 bricked by iOS7 beta (registered developer)
    1MikeinMA Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

varjak paw wrote:

If you are an authorized member of Apple's developer program, you have forums and resources through which you can address issues with seed versions of Apple's software.

Well, I'm in the same boat as the OP. However, I don't have access to the dev forums as I was betaing IOS 7 as part of an academic community and reporting back to the folks who control the dev account. It'd be wonderful if there's a solution in the dev forums for this catch-22 that could be posted out here in these public forums as my phone literally just went into activation mode; I'd happily been under the impression that when the GM was released, it'd update to the production version and be out of a beta OS (I think that's a fairly reasonable assumption; I ran an update the same day the general public did for the GM release of 7).

• 4. Re: iPad 4 bricked by iOS7 beta (registered developer)
    deggie Level 8 Level 8 (46,495 points)

You know what they say about assumptions...

Put your device in DFU mode and Restore it on your computer in iTunes as a new device.

Or get with the developers you were testing for.