It's not that difficult.
Before you change your Apple ID, make sure that the email address you want to use for your Apple ID meets these conditions:
- The email address is one that you use regularly, because it will be the primary email address for your Apple ID.
- The email address is not associated with any other Apple ID.
- The email address is not an iCloud email address, which is already an Apple ID. iCloud email addresses end with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com.
To change your Apple ID, follow these steps:
- Go to My Apple ID (appleid.apple.com), click "Manage your Apple ID", and sign in.
- If you have two-step verification turned on, you'll be asked to send a verification code to the trusted device associated with your Apple ID. If you are unable to receive messages at your trusted device, follow the guidelines for what to do if you can't sign in with two-step verification.
- In the "Apple ID and Primary Email Address section," click Edit.
- Enter the email address you want to use, then click Save Changes. Apple will send a verification email to that address.
- Open the email from Apple, then click Verify Now in the email.
- When the My Apple ID page opens, sign in with your renamed Apple ID.
- If you have two-step verification turned on, you'll be asked to send a verification code to the trusted device associated with your Apple ID.
After you see a message indicating that verification is complete, remember to update all of the features and services that you use with your Apple ID.
This is driving me nuts as well. I ONLY want to change the e-mail address on the Apple I.D. account. We had a privious Apple I.D. account that gave us trouble for some reason and we reset that account to this current one. Unfortunately, when setting it up, I input a wrong digit in the e-mail address (and yes, I input it again during the verification retype) , so after realizing my mistake, I went through the steps of changing the e-mail address, but it won't let me use it because it says that it is being used by another account (the old one, I am guessing).
Despite this, am I supposed to open a NEW email account to satisfy this Apple account? We are using ONE account with this nonesense, no more. I need for you guys to delete or whatnot the old account, so that we can use the e-mail address that we have and get on with this.