Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express (2nd Gen), Apple Express (1st Gen) and TC (4th Gen) connectivity

Wondering if someone can help?

I've got three Apple devices on my current home network; the latest Apple Express (2nd Gen) is setup as the base station (connected to my DSL modem), through in the kitchen is an Apple Express (1st Gen) extending the network, and in my son's room is a Time Capsule (4th Gen) which is also extending the same network. Both the kitchen and my son's room are about the same distance from the main base station. Sometimes the network is very slow both in the kitchen and my son's room when the kitchen Express (1st Gen) is relaying the wifi to the TC rather than the TC taking the signal directly from the Base:

User uploaded file

I have to restart the kithchen Express for the TC to then take the wifi from the Base:

User uploaded file

Is there a way to configure it so that the TC will always take the wifi signal straight from the Base rather than from the Express?

Thanks

AirPort Express 802.11N (2nd generation), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 12:03 PM

8 replies

Sep 12, 2013 2:47 PM in response to nckslater

Sorry, but no. Apple's extend a wireless network function works like the hub and spokes of a wheet.

The Living Room Express is the "hub" on your network. It needs to be located in a central location in your home.

The TC and Kitchen Express are located at the ends of separate spokes. They each need to communicate directly to the "hub".....not to another device at the end of another spoke.

So, the TC and Kitchen Express both need to be closer to the "hub" than they are to each other.

You may need to consider hard wiring one or more of your devices to achieve the results that you want.

Sep 13, 2013 4:45 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I think I've manage to setup all three devices on a WDS network using an older version of Airport Utility which has the WDS settings option.

I have setup my main Base as the WDS MAIN allowing the MAC id's of the Express and TC.

The Express is setup as WDS REMOTE allowing the Base MAC id only.

The TC is also setup as WDS REMOTE allowing the Base MAC id only too.

All of this is obviously on the same channel. Seems to be working fine.

Sep 13, 2013 5:57 AM in response to nckslater

If WDS works for you, that is fine. The big downside to WDS is bandwidth loss since WDS will only run a maximum of 54 Mbps.

Every time you add a relay or a remote, that bandwidth or network speed is halved, so with two WDS remotes, the first cuts the entire network down to 27 Mbps and the second cuts everything down to about 14 Mbps, which is close to the performance of much older wireless "b" settings.

Normal "n" wireless runs at 130 Mbps and "n" wireless 5 GHz runs at up to 400+, so you are sacrificing a tremendous amount of performance using the WDS settings.

But, if you are happy, then all is well.

Airport Express (2nd Gen), Apple Express (1st Gen) and TC (4th Gen) connectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.