Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applescript for auto-add .mp3 downloads to itunes, then delete from download folder?

I am trying to build an applescipt to automatically transfer any .mp3 files added to download folder to itunes and then delete the file from download folder. Is there a possible solution?

iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 7:07 PM

There is an auto import folder inside the iTunes Media folder.

You can make an Automator Folder Action that moves the mp3s into that auto import folder. When you next open iTunes, the files will be imported.

Open Automator and choose Folder Action.

Make it look like this:

User uploaded file

Save it and when music files arrive in the Downloads folder, they will be moved to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder.

That path is ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Automatically Add to iTunes

The two actions I added are in the Files & Folders Library.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2013 7:07 PM in response to joshpetty

There is an auto import folder inside the iTunes Media folder.

You can make an Automator Folder Action that moves the mp3s into that auto import folder. When you next open iTunes, the files will be imported.

Open Automator and choose Folder Action.

Make it look like this:

User uploaded file

Save it and when music files arrive in the Downloads folder, they will be moved to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder.

That path is ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Automatically Add to iTunes

The two actions I added are in the Files & Folders Library.

Sep 15, 2013 4:11 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you Barney-15E- My ultimate goal is to build a function to auto-add .mp3 from downloads to itunes, add artwork (obviously this can be done at any point in the work flow), update itunes match, then delete the files locally so they only exist in my match account.

Do you have any recommendations for this? As you can assume, I am new to working with automater/apple scripts.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 23, 2014 8:41 PM in response to Barney-15E

the automatically add folder definitely works, but...

as soon as i run the script, before any of the steps are run, a pop up window comes up and tells me i need to add a "get specified finder items" action at the beginning of the script in order for it to work within automator. when i do add that action, it only works on the items i'm specifying.

if i don't add that action, it doesn't work at all. i get a warning on the first step.

this is my first time trying to use automator.

Jul 24, 2014 5:28 AM in response to dvdsmoke

The Folder Action isn’t supposed to be run from within Automator. You build it and save it and when items are saved to Downloads, it checks to see if they are music files and moves them to the Automatically add... folder.

The warning you see is for testing purposes. Since you can’t simulate saving something into Downloads while testing, you have to give it some other source. When you’re done testing, you remove the Get Specified action and let the Folder Action work on its own.

Applescript for auto-add .mp3 downloads to itunes, then delete from download folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.