Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I sync road runner email on computer and iPad

How do I sync my road runner email on laptop and iPad and iPhone

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 5:32 PM

10 replies

Nov 19, 2013 1:42 PM in response to Jamie33333

I've had my roadrunner account, my first personal email address, for years. I absoutely hate managing my roadrunner inbox across multiple devices - deleting the same emails multiple times.

I just recently created an .icloud email account. It appears run on IMAP servers. Regardless, it allows seemless email management across iMac, iPhone and iPad. I guess I will be fading away from using Roadrunner to iCloud.

Jul 7, 2014 12:39 PM in response to imobl

Road Runner does support IMAP but they don't advertise it very well. The instructions are at:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/step-by-step/twc-mail.html

If you can't send emails when you're not using Road Runner internet try using the SMTP server: mobile-smtp.roadrunner.com

The instructions are on Time Warner's website but it will work for all roadrunner.com email addresses. Road Runner was a subsidiary of Time Warner and in 2012 they renamed Road Runner to Time Warner Cable Internet. You can read about their history and other companies that offer Road Runner internet at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Runner_Internet

Jul 10, 2014 5:33 AM in response to Jamie33333

With iOS 6 or 7 the email setup has gotten smarter, and now tries to figure out whether your ISP supports IMAP, and if it does, creates an IMAP account on the iPhone. If it your ISP does not support IMAP it creates a POP3 account. There are 2 problems with this added intelligence:

1. Sometimes it makes a mistake, and creates a POP account even if the ISP supports IMAP.
  2. Sometimes even if your ISP supports IMAP you really would prefer a POP account.

I had this issue just yesterday. The phone would auto select POP even though the server supported IMAP.

To get around this put in a fake email address when setting it up, ios 6 or 7 will then try to autodiscover the account settings when it cant it will ask you to fill in the server details and you can select pop or imap as shown in the screen shot below

User uploaded file

Jul 10, 2014 5:35 AM in response to Jamie33333

With iOS 6 or 7 the email setup has gotten smarter, and now tries to figure out whether your ISP supports IMAP, and if it does, creates an IMAP account on the iPhone. If it your ISP does not support IMAP it creates a POP3 account. There are 2 problems with this added intelligence:

1. Sometimes it makes a mistake, and creates a POP account even if the ISP supports IMAP.
  2. Sometimes even if your ISP supports IMAP you really would prefer a POP account.

I had this issue just yesterday. The phone would auto select POP even though the server supported IMAP.

To get around this put in a fake email address when setting it up, ios 6 or 7 will then try to autodiscover the account settings when it cant it will ask you to fill in the server details and you can select pop or imap as shown in the screen shot below

User uploaded file

Jul 10, 2014 5:47 AM in response to Jamie33333

User uploaded file

How do I sync road runner email on computer and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.