Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is classified as "other" on my mac?

I am running OS X Mountain Lion. Any way I can get the 30 GB of "other" off my mac? I can't even save a document or perform routine updates. Help!!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Mid 2007 Model

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 3:42 PM

3 replies

Sep 12, 2013 3:57 PM in response to gavinjoe323

The "Other" category are system files, your own created personal folders, personal files and personal data.

If you are using the Time Machine backup function and you do not use an external hard drive, Time Machine backups are being stored to your iMac's internal hard drive.

When was the last time you emptied OS X trash icon in the Dock?

If you use iPhoto, iPhoto has its own dedicated trash that needs to be emptied.

Apple Mail also has its own trash that needs to be emptied, too!

How full is your Mac's hard drive?

How much free space is left on the Mac's hard drive?

Sep 12, 2013 5:35 PM in response to gavinjoe323

Empty the Trash if you haven't already done so. If you use iPhoto, empty its internal Trash first:

iPhoto Empty Trash

Then reboot. That will temporarily free up some space.

According to Apple documentation, you need at least 9 GB of available space on the startup volume (as shown in the Finder Info window) for normal operation. You also need enough space left over to allow for growth of your data. There is little or no performance advantage to having more available space than the minimum Apple recommends. Available storage space that you'll never use is wasted space.

To locate large files, you can use Spotlight. That method may not find large folders that contain a lot of small files.

You can more effectively use a tool such as OmniDiskSweeper (ODS) to explore your volume and find out what's taking up the space. You can also delete files with it, but don't do that unless you're sure that you know what you're deleting and that all data is safely backed up. That means you have multiple backups, not just one.

Deleting files inside an iPhoto or Aperture library will corrupt the library. Any changes to a photo library must be made from within the application that created it. The same goes for Mail files.

Proceed further only if the problem isn't solved by the above steps.

ODS can't see the whole filesystem when you run it just by double-clicking; it only sees files that you have permission to read. To see everything, you have to run it as root.

Back up all data now.

Install ODS in the Applications folder as usual. Quit it if it's running.

Triple-click the line of text below on this page to select it, then copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C):

sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V). You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The application window will open, eventually showing all files in all folders. It may take some minutes for ODS to list all the files.

I don't recommend that you make a habit of doing this. Don't delete anything while running ODS as root. If something needs to be deleted, make sure you know what it is and how it got there, and then delete it by other, safer, means. When in doubt, leave it alone or ask for guidance.

When you're done with ODS, quit it and also quit Terminal.

What is classified as "other" on my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.