Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't my 2006 MACPRO OS be upgraded past 10.6.8?

Im trying to install Adobe LR 5 that I already purchased a product key for. (non refundable) LR5 needs 10.7.0 or higher. Apple is saying that I can't upgrade my OS past my current 10.6.8! WHY NOT! I know its "older" but it still works better than 98% of the windows based computers out there!

Does anyone know a work around to this problem or did I just blow $120.00 ... unless I buy a new computer.

Anyone interested in LR 5 product key... let me know... I'll sell it cheap.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 8:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 9:02 PM

Your computer CAN go to 10.7, but no further, according to this document:

System requirements for OS X Lion and Mac OS X v10.6

OS X Lion system requirements

To use Lion, make sure your computer has the following:

• An Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • Mac OS X v10.6.6 or later to install via the Mac App Store (v10.6.8 recommended); you can install without Mac OS X v10.6 by using an OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive [no longer available]
  • 7 GB of available disk space
  • 2 GB of RAM

If your Mac does not meet these requirements, you will need to upgrade your Mac before installing Lion.

To obtain 10.7 Lion, you will need to CALL the Apple Online store and purchase a download code they will email you in a day or two.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2013 9:02 PM in response to Epicravenlord

Your computer CAN go to 10.7, but no further, according to this document:

System requirements for OS X Lion and Mac OS X v10.6

OS X Lion system requirements

To use Lion, make sure your computer has the following:

• An Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • Mac OS X v10.6.6 or later to install via the Mac App Store (v10.6.8 recommended); you can install without Mac OS X v10.6 by using an OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive [no longer available]
  • 7 GB of available disk space
  • 2 GB of RAM

If your Mac does not meet these requirements, you will need to upgrade your Mac before installing Lion.

To obtain 10.7 Lion, you will need to CALL the Apple Online store and purchase a download code they will email you in a day or two.

Sep 13, 2013 6:11 AM in response to Epicravenlord

It was not instant, the process for some reason is totally manual and takes a day at least to get a key to allow downloading Lion.

All MAC PRO models can be upgraded to 10.7.5, but Apple Store makes us jump through hoops.

FBDIMMs are cheap now and better.

You can add some SSDs, one for system in stock drive bays and two more on Sonnet Tempo or Pro SSD card to host your L4/5 catalogue which does help. Samsung 840 EVO look to be newest and nice option (you don't need to buy 840 Pro series)

You should hve or want to get ATI 5770 from Apple probably.

Check here: http://www.macperformanceguide.com check the Articles link for advice and tips

Why can't my 2006 MACPRO OS be upgraded past 10.6.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.