Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup password retrieval

I just updated my iPod touch 4g, and a prompt came up asking for the password to unlock my iPod backup. I have no idea what it could be (it's been a while since I've updated) so I wanted to know if I could answer security questions to retrieve my password or maybe make a new one?

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 12:34 AM

If you chose to encrypt the backup of your device in iTunes - No. There is no (supported) way to retrieve the password, or reset it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

Warning: If you encrypt an iPhone backup in iTunes and then forget your password, you will not be able to restore from backup and your data will be unrecoverable. If you forget the password, you can continue to back up and use the device, however you will not be able to restore the encrypted backup to any device without the password. You do not need to enter the password for your backup each time you back up or sync.

If you cannot remember the password and want to start again, you must perform a full software restore and when iTunes prompts you to select the backup from which to restore, choose set up as a new device.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2013 12:34 AM in response to Jess52

If you chose to encrypt the backup of your device in iTunes - No. There is no (supported) way to retrieve the password, or reset it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

Warning: If you encrypt an iPhone backup in iTunes and then forget your password, you will not be able to restore from backup and your data will be unrecoverable. If you forget the password, you can continue to back up and use the device, however you will not be able to restore the encrypted backup to any device without the password. You do not need to enter the password for your backup each time you back up or sync.

If you cannot remember the password and want to start again, you must perform a full software restore and when iTunes prompts you to select the backup from which to restore, choose set up as a new device.

Mar 25, 2014 11:47 PM in response to spartak1

I ran into the same password issue. I didn't put in a password for the restore/backup yet it kept asking for the password. I then realized what I needed to do was use my iphone while it was connected to the laptop and sign into my wifi network. Once I did that on my phone while it was hooked up to my laptop, I was then able to use my apple ID password to run the restore. Hope this helps.

Jun 7, 2014 11:58 PM in response to Jess52

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, this is my first post, however, I am an experienced computer user and administer a network etc.

The reason I've posted that below, may possibly help those out who have set an encryption password on their iTunes backup, are sure of their backup password, possibly because they've recorded it in a password manager, as I myself have done, and then find that when they need to restore a backup, the encryption password will not work, receiving an error "the password you have entered is incorrect please try again" (or similar).

A few months ago I purchased a new home tower. Whilst I was commissioning it, I used my Dell XPS laptop as my main computer. During this time I had occassion to change my encrypted iTunes password. I did this un the Dell XPS and recorded the new password in my password manager, so I knew that it was correct.

Yesterday, using my new tower which has iTunes installed along with several backups of my iPhone, I attempted to change my encryption password. I tried and tried but received the error message as above. I should also say that I have my iPhone set to complete a cloud backup each day. So to recap, I first backed up my iPhone in iTunes on my tower and then forced an iCloud back up of my iPhone, so my tower Itunes account showed that I had backed up both to the tower and to the cloud, all withing a few minutes of each other.

then attempted to change my encryption password, however I was told that it was incorrect. Having thought about this overnight, I fired up the XPS, plugged my iPhone into iTunes, carried out a local backup on the XPS and then attempted to change my encryption password, and it worked. The XPS recognised my password straight away. I then turned off find my iPhone and requested a restore from the cloud backup which it would have allowed me to do had I not cancelled.

So it appears that the moral of this story is, that to successfully retreive a cloud or local backup and restore it to your device, you must use the computer that you originally set up your encryption password on, or else, you will neither be able to restore a backup or change your encryption password as it appears neither of these, from my experience at least, are backed up when doing a backup on another computer other than the original one (my XPS for example) and when backing up to the Cloud, the encyption password is not retained here either.

I'd be interested as to what answers the Apple techies come back with re this one............something's not right somewhere !!!!!

Backup password retrieval

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.