Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One PC, multiple iTunes users

We have one PC, running Windows 8, and three Windows accounts for three separate users. The users all have individual iTunes accounts and separate iTunes libraries.

If user A runs iTunes and leaves the PC without quitting iTunes, it prevents user B and C from running iTunes because it is already running although it's under a different Windows user account that user B and C ideally have no access to. So my question is:

Is it possible to run "virtual instances" of iTunes so all user accounts on the same box can have their own instances running at the same time?

I would really prefer NOT to have to install separate instances of iTunes under the individual users - if that's event possible...

Thanks for you input!

Windows 8

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 2:53 AM

No, what you see is what you get. Short of running a complete virtual copy Windows in which you can run another instance of iTunee your only option is to close out of the other account. You can however disable fast user switching which would prevent user B or C from logging in without getting user A to log off, however that may introduce a different set of problems if user A is editing documents when "evicted".

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2013 2:53 AM in response to greatest dane

No, what you see is what you get. Short of running a complete virtual copy Windows in which you can run another instance of iTunee your only option is to close out of the other account. You can however disable fast user switching which would prevent user B or C from logging in without getting user A to log off, however that may introduce a different set of problems if user A is editing documents when "evicted".

tt2

Jan 28, 2014 11:50 AM in response to turingtest2

My brother is in the same boat. His laptop is dead and the family uses a different computer with a different iTunes installation. Because of this, his iPhone and iPad are on a different library.

I planned on creating a new Windows user logon for him. Does each Windows user's installation use its own library, or does one iTunes installation span multiple user accounts?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 28, 2014 12:05 PM in response to turingtest2

Ah, that's fantastic, thanks! I work in IT and have lots of experience moving iTunes library files (replacing a computer, using two computers, etc)... but I haven't actually tried a second Windows user profile.

My wife and my music tastes rarely overlap so her laptop is full of stuff I hate, and vice versa. Both of our iTunes libraries are the same ID number though, just for that occasional song we want to both have!

Thanks very much for the quick reply! ^.^

One PC, multiple iTunes users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.