Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone safari stuck in landscape

When I open safari on my iPhone 5, it automatically goes into landscape and won't switch to portrait. My orientation lock is off, I have tried shutting down my iPhone, resetting network settings, and nothing works. Any help?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Sep 13, 2013 2:31 AM

6 replies

Sep 15, 2013 2:13 PM in response to ampifed1

Hello ampifed1,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

For more information on this, take a look at:

iPhone and iPod touch: Screen does not rotate

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3805

1. If the issue persists, restart your iOS device by holding the On/Off button until "slide to power off" appears. Slide to power off your device. When it is off, press the On/Off button to turn it back on.
  2. If the screen remains locked, back up and restore your device

iPhone: Hardware troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2802

Display does not go into landscape mode

• Remember that photos, webpages, and applications will not change viewing-orientation modes when iPhone is lying flat. Hold iPhone vertically to switch between portrait and landscape modes or vice versa.
  • Verify that rotation lock is not on.
  • To test, open the Calculator application while holding the iPhone vertically (portrait mode). The standard calculator should appear. Then rotate the iPhone to a horizontal position (landscape mode), and the scientific calculator should appear.

Note: Certain apps and features may support only one mode, landscape or portrait. For example, the Videos app plays video in landscape mode, and Reminders uses only portrait mode. Not all applications on iPhone use landscape mode.

Feb 14, 2014 5:57 PM in response to XSIV4X4

Wow, Thank You! I have an iPhone5 w/ iOS7. Your recallibration method worked for me.

I could tell I was having the same issues around calibration. Apps that should recognize the rotation were not working as they should, they were stuck in landscape layout. But, until I read you suggestion on fixing it, I had no idea how to recalibrate. I tried wiping settings and everything, but had no luck. This was such an easy solution to something that made me desire watching a high speed impact of my phone and the nearest hard surface.

Thanks again!

Jan 16, 2014 10:41 AM in response to ampifed1

I had the same thing happen to me with my iPhone 5s with latest iOs 7. Phone was stuck in landscape mode for any app that wasn't already locked in a certain orientation. I tried closing all apps and reopening them and tried restarting several times. Nothing worked. I decided that the accelerometer must be physically broken so I decided to test it with the "compass" app. At first, it was all messed up, but then I went to the "level" app which is part of the compass. After turning the phone on it's sides several times, the accelerometer seemed to re-calibrate itself and now everything seems to work fine. Try that.

Mar 27, 2015 6:14 PM in response to XSIV4X4

Update caused this in my Iphone 5 as well. Reset, quit apps, restored, all to no avail. I finally found this thread and its been solved. Thank you. I can finally get back to what I was doing.

Also, *** Apple? Why do you release updates that compromise the basic functionality of the device? All I wanted was time-lapse functionality in the camera app and it cost me 2 days of being frustrated. You're even on IOS8.2 and its been happening to thousands of people for months!

iPhone safari stuck in landscape

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.